Shure MX 391... Wireless?

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
I have a couple of MX 391's that I don't use very often because I prefer my PCC 160's. I was wondering if I made some adapters could they be plugged into a wireless belt pack? I do a lot of kids shows and often find myself wishing for a wireless boundary mic I could hide on the set.

Would it work?

I do not think an adapter is needed if your working with a Shure body pack. Yes you can connect them to body packs.
I use AT 871 's on my AT body packs.

Just because it has a TA connector doesn't mean things are interchangeable. Most Shure body packs output 5V bias power. The MX391 wants to see somewhere between 11-52Vdc according to its spec sheet, so mic bias alone won't power it, you will need some sort of external phantom power supply. You'll want an XLR to TA wired for dynamic mic (Hot Pin 3, Ground Pin 1, same on XLR and TA4F), run into a phantom power supply, out to your mic.

Even the AT871 wants 9V Bias Power at minimum, the reason it works on your AT belt packs is because some of those give out up to 11.5Vdc -- again, connectors connect, nothing more, doesn't mean they do the same things internally.

Just because it has a TA connector doesn't mean things are interchangeable. Most Shure body packs output 5V bias power. The MX391 wants to see somewhere between 11-52Vdc according to its spec sheet, so mic bias alone won't power it, you will need some sort of external phantom power supply. You'll want an XLR to TA wired for dynamic mic (Hot Pin 3, Ground Pin 1, same on XLR and TA4F), run into a phantom power supply, out to your mic.

Even the AT871 wants 9V Bias Power at minimum, the reason it works on your AT belt packs is because some of those give out up to 11.5Vdc -- again, connectors connect, nothing more, doesn't mean they do the same things internally.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking might happen. There's a reason I've never heard of anyone doing this.

It would be do-able with a battery powered phantom power circuit added into the mix.... It could indeed be done.
I am not directly aware of a product directly meant to do this, but it would be easy enough to construct something that would suffice especially as there are phantom power in-line units available (A/C powered).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back