Wireless Shure to Mipro TA4F Connection?

AlexDavila

Long story short, our school district recently updated the sound reinforcement in our theatre space with new Mipro packs. Previously we were using very abused Shure packs that were held together with a quantity of gaff. Despite their beaten transmitters, the hairline mics used with the old packs are surprisingly more useful and durable than the boom-style mics purchased alongside the Mipro packs.

Anyway, my goal is to connect the hairline mics to the Mipro packs. Both systems used TA4F connections; however, their pinout structures are very different. I came across this pinout diagram for many brands including Mipro and Shure that gave me a general idea how to go about building an adapter, but there were a few terms I simply haven't come across in my short time as a sound techie. Referring to the diagram for the Shure TA4F, I'm not sure what a "short" or a "V5 bias" is. I assume a "2.2K ohm 1/8th watt internal to connector" is a resistor, however I'm still a little lost as to how this is wired.

Am I going about this the wrong way by trying to build my own adapter? I've had no luck finding one premade. Am I simply trying to do something that is A. Not possible or B. Not worth the time? Mind you, I am in a school environment with limited funds and resources. Believe me, if I could I'd just order a bunch of B6's with connectors made for the new Mipro packs.

On a final note, I'd really rather not permanently change the adapter on the hairline mics as we occasionally need to use a couple of the old Shures when Mic changes aren't possible. Plus, it's a hassle to pull out the old receivers and integrate them into the mixer just to use the better mics when I have a surplus of Mipro packs. (The district makes it a pain to get to the back of the board, and if the guy in charge stops by, we get lectured and he rewires the receivers as he sees fit.)

Anyway, thanks.

"Short" basically just means "connect." So on the Mipro connector just connect or "short" pins 3 and 4. I'm not sure what "V5 bias" means. You are correct that the 2.2k ohm... is a resistor. I think it means that it needs to be connected to the chassis (not a problem with the lack of space inside that connector) but I could be wrong. I would say permanently change them all, then make up a few adapters if you are still inclined. You'll probably be using the Mipro packs mostly, so no reason to always have to use these "homemade" adapters which WILL break.

avkid - I agree, it appears that V5 should infact be 5v... a bias just means that there is active 5 volts on that pin, possibly used in some mics that have an active pickup. The 2.2kohm is just a small 1/8 watt resistor that is internal (inside) the connector

Users who are viewing this thread

Back