Shure WL93

JohnA

Hi-I am primarily a light guy, but do some basic sound too. I have come across a defective WL93 mic at a school where I have just started to work. When I say a test phrase, there is no audio coming through--but if I tap on the cord or blow (gently) across the element, the tap or wind noise comes through fine. The issue is not with a wireless pack--definitely with the mic--verified by substitution with another "good mic". Anyone have an idea what the issue is here? Thanks.

Make sure the gain on your pack is OK? Maybe it's just a quiet element? There's nothing muffling it inside the grill?

For when you can make sound by blowing on it, how does that compare when you blow in the same way with the good element?

More likely, and my guess:
Sounds like you're element's pretty much dead. I don't think there's going to be anything you can do on your end to fix it - and they're inexpensive enough that I'm not sure repair (sending back to Shure) would be worth it.

I agree. If you are 100% certain that it is not the transmitter, there is not much to be repaired on these mic elements themselves, especially for the cost. If you or someone you know are handy with a soldering iron, it would be worth checking the TA4F connector that plugs into the transmitter to see if all of the wires look ok and are not pulled out of place or touching each other.

~Dave

Just send it to Shure - their repair costs are usually quite reasonable. If not and you must replace it, the Microphone Madness mics have served us well (if you get a headset - which I prefer - request the extra-stiff ear loop).

Last time I checked Shure had a $75 charge just to look at an item that needed to be serviced. That's probably near the cost (or more) of a new WL93.

I have a lot of experience with WL-93's, and everything everyone else is saying is pretty much dead on. A new one can be had for around $70US from certain suppliers. The problems I run into most are either the element itself wearing out (gradual loss of sound no matter the gain setting, fading in or out, a very tinny or distant or "paper towel tube" sound, having to EQ the daylights out of it, etc) or a simple short or broken wire, usually an inch or two up from the connector. The broken wire part is easy to fix, if you're handy with a soldering iron - find the short by wiggling the cable working up from the connector until you don't get bursts of static or cut-outs anymore, snip the cord about an inch above that, resolder the connector from the snipped section to the mic, and you're good to go. I've got a few formerly 4' cords that are now closer to 3' after doing a few of these fixes over time, but as long as the quality is still there I'll do the fixes.

Basically, if there's no sound or or if there are static bursts based on actor/mic movement, warm up the soldering iron, and if it's a sound quality degradation issue, warm up the wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back