Small Fire Breaks Out at Rihanna Concert

PLSN-Rihanna Concert Fire PLSN by Debi Moen.

At least the truss chair in question was over hung on the truss and not underneath. I could not imagine what would have happened if the person had to go down on a hoist/circus ladder. So the real question is, how did fabric and foam get into the air that did not comply to NFPA 701? Added to that, would NFPA 701 treated fabric and foam prevented this?

Also, WHO would want to be over the stage ANYWHERE near enough pyro for it to get to you?

The power was NOT killed if SEVERAL MLs began doing whatever they wanted... even if the DMX was caught in the fire, that wouldn't somehow power the lights that went AWOL on SR.

By "the rig", I meant the section on fire. I didn't see the better video, but from the angle I saw, the section with the fire was either powered down or not doing anything. Either way, it's a moot point since it wasn't an electrical fire (though it could have ended up being one if this section of the rig was in fact live).
Edit: I watched the other video and I'm still somewhat inconclusive. Several other lights did go crazy, while others appeared to be lamped on (but doused), but they seemed to be on neighboring trusses. I couldn't tell with the truss in question due to the brightness of the fire.

The arena lights are likely managed by a PC. I'm not sure how cumbersome it is to get all the lights on, but I'll bet the system was attended. Most arenas like the AAC have panels throughout the space which can control the lighting to some extent (much like architectural stations in a theatre). At least, I know the Cowboys Stadium does. I'd imagine AAC does too as it's fairly new.

I do think truss spot ops should have fire extinguishers; especially after this incident.

Last edited:
At least the truss chair in question was over hung on the truss and not underneath. I could not imagine what would have happened if the person had to go down on a hoist/circus ladder. So the real question is, how did fabric and foam get into the air that did not comply to NFPA 701? Added to that, would NFPA 701 treated fabric and foam prevented this?
If the seat was non-compliant (let's say it was, and that was what let the fire take off like it did) I'd hazard a guess that it was an oversight in the safety department. While any explicitly show-related stuff would no doubt undergo a thorough check, a seat for a spot operator could quite easily fly under the radar by being lumped in with the spot itself, by being so commonplace that it "must" be OK and can therefore be assumed safe ("...so don't bother checking the cert on that, I'm sure it's fine"), or maybe even a case of "not my department, not my problem."

This is, of course, assuming that the seat was indeed noncompliant, and that that fact alone was what enabled the fire. I'd hope it was the other case: the chair was compliant and the fire was the result of bad luck, not complacency. How pure of bad luck will no doubt be uncovered, but not necessarily publicized, soon.

Two facts and two opinions from a colleague who is close to the investigation of this incident:
Facts:
1 The nearest pyro was over 20 feet away from the spot chair
2. Cigarette butts and a partially burned pack of marlboroughs were found in the chair when it came down.

Opinions:
1. When an operator is in the spot chair, there is not a lot of the chair left exposed because it is covered by spot op( who did not catch fire)
2. The spot op seemed unusually calm, and indifferent when he came down... most people would have been mighty pissed at the pyro guy for nearly burning them up if pyro was truly at fault.

I hope he was drinking alot of alcohol too because he mustve been pretty bored up there watching a rhianna concert. Saw the news report about the bottle of whisky too did anyone see that?

Last edited:
Rihanna Concert: Rihanna offers no refund or rescheduled concert, following fiery concert at the American Airlines Center. - KDAF
Dallas-Fire Rescue officials reiterated it was Rihanna's pyro display that set a fabric chair on fire above the stage. The chair was occupied by a spotlight operator, who suffered minor burns. Today, Rihanna's camp announced there will be no refunds or a rescheduled concert for disappointed fans.

Also:

AAC General Manager Dave Brown said the spotlight operator, a member of Rihanna’s crew, was sitting 25 feet up on a light grid. He quickly got up and out of the way and another crew member carried a fire extinguisher up the ladder to put it out.
Brown said Rihanna had already performed 18 songs when the fire started and it was her people who pulled the plug and evacuated everyone as a precaution even though the fire was out.

No Refund for Rihanna Fans after Concert Fire

so the real question is who is going to make the fans happy? the insurance company?

Last edited:
so the real question is who is going to make the fans happy? the insurance company?

Its Live Nation, they don't really care. The venue might eat it or offer comps/two-fers/30% off/free hot dogs for another show. Rarely does the shows producer have any loyalty to the audience. They get their cut of the gate and thats about it. Also, if they performed the required amount to fill the contract then its a done deal. Odds are the way the contract was written the producer has all the advantages. If stuff does go down, its usually gets stuck with the local presenter/promoter. This being a Live Nation show, all things are out the window. The way Live Nation promotes shows is very different from the way other groups promote shows.

This is just an example of what is in most contracts:
Provided Artist is ready, willing and able to perform, Purchaser agrees to
compensate Artist in accordance with the terms hereof regardless of act of
God, fire, accident, riot, strike or any event or events of any kind or
character whatsoever, whether similar or dissimilar to the foregoing events
which would prevent or interfere with the presentation of the show
hereunder.

Last edited:
We played the venue shortly after this happened and we have both truss spots and pyro. The pyro is close enough to one of the truss spots the op has to wear a flame retardant suit and a respirator. The fire safety equipment was provided by the pyro company.

The venue did a more in depth pyro test then most and they inspected the spot seat before the truss went out. I am not sure what they looked for on the seat.

Really? Seems like a horrible horrible idea. Are there no other possible locations? Seems Like some sort compromise could be made between the art and safety.

~Dave

No other position would get the same effect, and with pyro its a better safe than sorry attitude. There are only three or four times when an effect is in the same area as the spot op and it is designed to burn out before it reaches truss height and would not be within ten feet even if it was still burning. However should something happen to change the trajectory or burn time the suit is the back up plan.

There are times in the show where the stage is filled with smoke from pyro so the respirator is used to keep him safe. I imagine it is like most things in life, once or twice is fine, but every day or if your body is sensitive to it there would be problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back