Design Small Lighting Package for Elem. School Play

jmac

Looking for recommendations for basic small lighting package with two lighting trees for use for an elementary school play production in one of those combination gym/cafeteria/auditorium spaces.

Budget is $2500.

I see lots of these DJ packages but they seem geared to, well DJ gigs.

I'm thinking of two Global Truss ST-132 crank stands (b/c I'm familiar with them and they go up 12-13'). That takes up $500. $2000 left.. (Open to other ideas here)..

So I'm used to S4's and the like, and am not up on all the LED stuff. Seems like there are now some decent and low cost LED fixtures to use, so I don't need shoebox dimmers-- yes?

So can we get (8) or so LED fixtures with decent color and punch, and some basic controller for $2,000..??

Thanks for your help!

I always see elementary school plays as "Get the kids seen to keep the parents happy". I'm just concerned that with that small of a budget you'll be able to get the coverage and output you need. You didn't mention size of your space so I'm just going off the cafetorium image in my head.

It sounds like you are starting with basic front light and for that I still recommend tungsten halogen lighting instruments. LED white, especially with low end products is not very satisfactory.

I don't know what your space is like but Source 4 PAR's bought used from a reputable source (to save cost) lamped at 375 would allow you to comfortable fit four lights on one a low end 4 channel dimmer pack. Most basic four channel dimmer packs are 15 amps max and thus while I'd prefer eight 6" 65Q style fresnels, even those lamped at 500 watts each exceeds the ratings of most economy model 4 channel packs.

One pack on each tree, all running on an 8 channel dimmer board (such as the Lightronics TL-4008). If you bought a bigger board now and later added LED's for top, side and back you wouldn't need to buy a bigger board. I'm sure people will suggest computer based control options but I personally prefer the robustness and simplicity of the basic two scene board.

Don't forget about cable! You need at least two cables if you do go dimmers packs, and as many cables as lights for LED.

One pack on each tree, all running on an 8 channel dimmer board (such as the Lightronics TL-4008). If you bought a bigger board now and later added LED's for top, side and back you wouldn't need to buy a bigger board. I'm sure people will suggest computer based control options but I personally prefer the robustness and simplicity of the basic two scene board.

I'd vote for a simple 2 scene for something like this as well. It doesn't look like something that could play a fun computer game, etc.

I also think that normal incandescent fixtures will give you much more light for the price, and for an elementary school, being seen is probably more important then getting lots of color options.

Since the shows I light are elementary school shows in this exact kind of space, I can speak from personal experience. I do two trees on crankstands, for front lighting, with three or four ellipsoidals all lamped at 375 so I don't fry the shoebox dimmers. That gives adequate coverage, more or less, and some control over lighting of the acting areas. For down or backlighting this year I rented a bunch of small LED fixtures so that I could do different color washes. Brightness was a little less than I'd like here, but it was better than nothing and did help add some mood and depth, and they don't use much juice. Keep in mind that you need six DMX channels for LEDs though, so if you have an eight channel, two-scene board, you will run out of channels if you combine those with incandescents. Personally I wouldn't use LED for any kind of key or front lighting, because they are not as bright, can't be focused, and to me, the colors always look rather cold. In the past I also added some downlight from the old border strips (I hate them and can't dim them), but this year I bypassed them and connected another shoebox dimmer to the power source and hung some PARs overhead. That worked well, and allowed me to run everything through one controller board. But that may be more than you can do in your space. Is there an actual stage, and does it already have any lighting in place?

I really miss the days when schools had actual auditoriums. The dreaded "multi-purpose room" is one of the unsung reasons why nobody cares about the performing arts in school any more. The design just screams "who cares?"

At any rate, if I were you I'd do the basic front lighting setup described above, and be wary of LEDs. I would also suggest you look for used gear if you are buying; you can save a lot of money that way. I've just started buying used fixtures this year, and over the next couple of years I hope to put together a lighting package that can eliminate or reduce my rental needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back