Small Stage Musical

tyler.martin

Hey,

I have a small black box stage, and I am trying to find a musical that will suit a small stage, approx 15ft Deep, and 25ft wide. This is going to be a youth show, and i would like something with real life songs. I was looking at something like Disco Inferno or Back to the 80's.

Any Ideas?

"Smokey Joe's Cafe" is a nice one and begs for creative staging. Also, look to smaller publishers like Hauer or Pioneer for some. they may not be big name shows like those at MTI or Tams-Witmark, but some are actually really good. Some of the "straight play" publishers have some, like Samuel French. I really like "How to Eat Like A Child" personally and think it works well for any venue.

It would help to know the target market. Off the top of my head:

• Forever Plaid, in all it's incarnations
  • Nunsense, et al.
  • John Gray's "Rock & Roll"
  • Godspell
  • Jacques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris
  • Little Shop of Horrors
  • Peter Coffey's "The War Show"
  • The Fantasticks
  • You're a Good Man Charlie Brown
  • Pumpboys & Dinettes

Hey,

I have a small black box stage, and I am trying to find a musical that will suit a small stage, approx 15ft Deep, and 25ft wide. This is going to be a youth show, and i would like something with real life songs. I was looking at something like Disco Inferno or Back to the 80's.

Any Ideas?

I was also going to suggest You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown and Fantasticks. Fantasticks could be a challenge depending on how young the youth are, as it's a fairly deep show, but YAGMCB is a fun show for all ages and everyone seems to love it. Both shows have very small casts and can be done with very a very minimal set.

Having said that, I just finished doing Into The Woods (a very LARGE show) on a 15' wide by 25' deep thrust stage. So there's nothing saying you can't do a bigger show, as long as you plan your blocking and set design with the small space in mind.

Take a look at HONK! by George Stiles and Anthony Drewe. (MTI holds the licensing) It can be a small or large cast. Played by adults or children.

I don't know your defintion of youth, but Joseph ATATD can fit on a small stage. I did it on a 25'x20' last year. It was tight... but its doable.

Thanks for the suggestions.

We consider youth to be 12-21. I'm looking at 2 shows right now: Class! Musical, and Zombie Prom.

I want to do a show where i can push the technical limits. Our theatre has never had effects other than Gobos, and 1 show where i used LED's. I want to rent some movers, and jazz the show up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back