Smallest DMX controller to dim 2 Chauvet TechnoStrobe RGB LED lights

Hi... 1st post ;)

I'm a solo musician, and have a small light show... I have my LED lights hooked up in a master/slave configuration... my audience always complains that my 2 x Chauvet RGB Technostrobe lights are too bright... I have them set to sound active mode... the only way I can dim them, is to set the dipswitches to 50%, but then I lose the ability to have them sound activated, or set to an automatic program... I can set them to strobe, but that's it...

I spoke with Chauvet, and their only suggestion is to buy an Obey 3, and control the dimming with the controller... my issue is, it's too big !... I have a small lighting truss, and am looking for something to mount on the truss, which can be hidden inbehind lighting... the only thing I want to be able to do, is to dim these two lights... buying a color mixing DMX controller seems like overkill...

Is there a product on the market, that does dimming only ? something with a DMX out, that I can plug into the RGB Technostrobes ? something smaller than 5" x 8" x 3 ?... I just need a dimmer switch !

Any help is appreciated...

Kevin

If I'm interpreting the manual correctly (and I may very well not be...), you're not going to be able to get what you want with an Obey, or any other DMX controller. It looks like the sound activated feature is exclusive of dimming control. That is, you can have one, or the other, but not both. LEDs cannot be effectively dimmed with a dimmer switch.

About the only thing I can suggest is to pick up some neutral density filter and tape it to the face of the units.

Or just point them somewhere other than in the audience's face. That might solve your problem?

sk8rsdad:

Thanks ! that's a great tip... never even thought of light filters... now, to find them in Nova Scotia ;) maybe I'll search online... thanks again !

Long And McQuade Carries diffusion gels for $8 a sheet. 20x24. Ask for the silk(studio) diffusion and you will be good! (if you haven't found a solution already)
Evan

Look at the Pocket Console by Baxter Controls- very handy, patchable, and now they come in wireless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back