Control/Dimming SMPTE Time Code Beginner ETC Gio

TheTheaterGeek

EOS Addict
Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
Hey Guys,

I am trying to learn how to use time code in programming shows.

Sadly I am not even at the point where I understand how to send/receive it. I am aware of SMPTE servers and the fact that I believe logic and other audio software can output it. Is there a way to use it to program a show and run it just from the console and no peripherals.Or even better, somehow use it in the offline editor.

Console : Gio Running 2.2

RVI : Junk Computer Running Nomad

Are you trying to time cues with a music track?

Yup.
But I am a REAL Newbie to the concept.
The equipment I have at my disposal is my console of course, our offline editor, A Behringer X32, an My Macbook Pro With Logic Pro X.

Thanks.

Its looking due to my research that MIDI Time Code is more of an option.
I thought I was pretty good with this stuff. :p

Basic info on SMPTE:

ETC - SMPTE guide

I would recommend MIDI Time Code, I think you will find it easier to figure out.

I have been reading that for the past half hour. HAHA

I have also been told that MIDI Show Control is another option. That I am slightly familiar with.

When it comes to MTC, What is required to send/recieve?

I don't really know logic that well, I used to teach this as part of a class but we used Qlab and it was easy to pick up. You can have your board trigger the sound cues if you want to run it that way but I would recommend having the sound trigger the lighting it tends to be easier to adjust.

I don't really know logic that well, I used to teach this as part of a class but we used Qlab and it was easy to pick up. You can have your board trigger the sound cues if you want to run it that way but I would recommend having the sound trigger the lighting it tends to be easier to adjust.

Do you mind running me through the required workflow to use QLab to trigger the lights to sound.
I can probably translate that into Logic process, or I may just use QLab3 instead.

Do you have a Midi out from your computer? on the Gio go to show control setting make sure midi is on and make sure the device Id is set to 0 (or what ever just make sure you know what it is). In Qlab 3 there is a Midi cue, under the settings tab you need to set Message type to MIDI Show Control Message (MSC). There are than options for what you can send, the default should be a Go command. make sure your Device Ids match, and enter the cue number you want the command to trigger in the q number box. I would add a auto follow on the sound cue with a pre wait for the midi cue to trigger.

Sorry if this is a bit all over the place I am trying to remember off the top of my head with out Qlab or a Gio present. if you have any question just ask. if you need MIDI cable from you computer to the Gio you can get a USB to MIDI cable here:

Amazon.com: HDE USB MIDI Cable Converter PC to Music Keyboard: Musical Instruments

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont have one but i just ordered it. Is there any way to do it over ethernet?

Hmm. I have seen that there is something called UDP but i dont know anything about it.

If i am running the client on a pc could i just go usb to usb?

I've done many timecoded light shows, and the way that I do them now is take MIDI Timecode (MTC) out of Sony Sound Forge via this cheapo little MIDI interface here: M-AUDIO - Uno - 1-In/1-Out USB Bus-Powered MIDI Interface and in to the console's MIDI IN port. I'd suggest a better interface, but that's the one that was available to me at the time so I used it and it worked fine for me. It works fine and Sound Forge will spit out MTC to your audio track just fine. That's how I did this show with MAC101s, this show with a bunch of stuff, and this show with those new Clay Paky B-EYEs. Before that I tried all sorts of stuff including follow times that were occasionally sync'd up with MIDI Show Control from Q-Lab, a show with all Q-Lab MSC commands, a show with a console's internal SMPTE clock, &c. &c. I program mostly on Grand MA now but I do work with ETC EOS series (GIO/ION/&c.) from time to time and I believe that there is a MIDI Timecode learn function. I thought that timecode learn with MTC was going to be very difficult until I did it the first time, and then I wondered why I hadn't used it all along.

ETA: Logic should definitely be able to output MIDI Timecode. I haven't used it before, but I can look in to that if you're having issues with it.

I've done many timecoded light shows, and the way that I do them now is take MIDI Timecode (MTC) out of Sony Sound Forge via this cheapo little MIDI interface here: M-AUDIO - Uno - 1-In/1-Out USB Bus-Powered MIDI Interface and in to the console's MIDI IN port. I'd suggest a better interface, but that's the one that was available to me at the time so I used it and it worked fine for me. It works fine and Sound Forge will spit out MTC to your audio track just fine. That's how I did this show with MAC101s, this show with a bunch of stuff, and this show with those new Clay Paky B-EYEs. Before that I tried all sorts of stuff including follow times that were occasionally sync'd up with MIDI Show Control from Q-Lab, a show with all Q-Lab MSC commands, a show with a console's internal SMPTE clock, &c. &c. I program mostly on Grand MA now but I do work with ETC EOS series (GIO/ION/&c.) from time to time and I believe that there is a MIDI Timecode learn function. I thought that timecode learn with MTC was going to be very difficult until I did it the first time, and then I wondered why I hadn't used it all along.

ETA: Logic should definitely be able to output MIDI Timecode. I haven't used it before, but I can look in to that if you're having issues with it.

I have been playing around with Sound Forge Pro and i cant seem to find how to make it send MTC.

I'll look in to it soon - I've gotta download the Sound Forge demo to a different computer (that's how I've been using it - download the demo to a different laptop every time). It will all come back to me when looking at the program. If I remember right you've gotta set up a MIDI output device before you can enable the MTC, but I'm not 100% sure on that. If someone else has Sound Forge and beats me to the answer, all the better. I've got a weekend packed solid of work and won't be on much.

I'll look in to it soon - I've gotta download the Sound Forge demo to a different computer (that's how I've been using it - download the demo to a different laptop every time). It will all come back to me when looking at the program. If I remember right you've gotta set up a MIDI output device before you can enable the MTC, but I'm not 100% sure on that. If someone else has Sound Forge and beats me to the answer, all the better. I've got a weekend packed solid of work and won't be on much.

THanks Man!

I've been using qLab and other sources of MTC and MSC for years to drive me consoles. I've used qLab in theatrical environments, Traktor in the Theme Parks and other timeline based video softwares in corporate and concert settings where everything must be sync'd down to the 1/30th of a frame in some instances. I actually have it setup right now in my current show at my roadhouse venue with my Watchout video system sending MTC into my EOS and triggering internal lighting cues once I send a MSC signal to the Watchout machine to start the track from my console. Send me a PM and I can walk you through the setup via qLab (Free audio playback software) or Logic and Gio, it's REALLY simple as long as you have the Midi interface on the computer you are trying to send the timecode from.

-B

I have been playing around with this all weekend. Got a few things to work out ok. I would really like to learn how to use MSC as well and that seems toi be throwing me for a loop.
I've been using qLab and other sources of MTC and MSC for years to drive me consoles. I've used qLab in theatrical environments, Traktor in the Theme Parks and other timeline based video softwares in corporate and concert settings where everything must be sync'd down to the 1/30th of a frame in some instances. I actually have it setup right now in my current show at my roadhouse venue with my Watchout video system sending MTC into my EOS and triggering internal lighting cues once I send a MSC signal to the Watchout machine to start the track from my console. Send me a PM and I can walk you through the setup via qLab (Free audio playback software) or Logic and Gio, it's REALLY simple as long as you have the Midi interface on the computer you are trying to send the timecode from.

-B
Thanks for the reply, I have sent you a PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back