Socapex from PD vs PD on stage

taptotweet

Hi all,
this is my first post so apologies if I get anything wrong.

I've got a gig coming up at a school and I need to run power to the stage. The nearest 3 phase outlet is roughly 50m away in the bio box of the other theatre.

As such, I have two options for getting power to the stage: putting the PD in the booth and running 2 socapex cables from there to the stage, or putting the PD on the stage and running a 5 pin series 56 lead to it.

I'd just like some opinions on what would be a better solution

Cheers,
Sam.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I would always run my heavier cable as far as I could. If you you can get the PD close and run feeder to it, I take it that the "5 pin series 56" is feeder, that is what I would do.

Hi all,
this is my first post so apologies if I get anything wrong.

I've got a gig coming up at a school and I need to run power to the stage. The nearest 3 phase outlet is roughly 50m away in the bio box of the other theatre.

As such, I have two options for getting power to the stage: putting the PD in the booth and running 2 socapex cables from there to the stage, or putting the PD on the stage and running a 5 pin series 56 lead to it.

I'd just like some opinions on what would be a better solution

Cheers,
Sam.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I would put the distro on stage. You generally want the distro or dimmers as close to the stage as reasonably possible. Cable is de-rated for longer runs and there is usually more head room on feeder than on individual soco runs.

Distro always goes as close as reasonable in my opinion, better for power transition and makes for easier, shorter, and neater cable runs to the equipment.

SIDE NOTE: I found some info on Series 56 plugs. May I request that someone who knows a bit about them makes a wiki entry about to help educate those of us on the top half of the world?

Last edited:
Ahh yes, 56 series...
Give me Ceeform by choice, but they work well enough.
Just be careful - the neutral pin is undersized relative to the actives in the 5 pin variants - designed for industrail applications and such where there aren't the harmonics and other garbage we create at times that dump excessive loads down the neutral.

For our northern friends - the 56 series incorporates a vast range of connectors, all of which are rated to IP56, but the term is most comonly used for a 5 pin connector used for 3 phase applications. The pins are arranged with a central pin, the neutral and 4 pins at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock, Earth at the bottom and then the 3 phases in the other positions. A 4 pin variety exists which omits the neutral. The 4 pin plug mates with the 5 pin socket, but not vice versa, so when an outlet has been installed to power a motor or the like and is only a 4 pin socket to save the cost of installing the neutral, then you're out of luck for single phase loads via a PD or dimmer.
Connecting cable is normally a 6mm2 5 core flexible cable.

Remember to check the normal gotchas - current rating of the outlet, plug and intervening extension.
The only thing worse than trying to plug a 40A plug into a 32A outlet is a 32 into a 20, becuase then you can't just file down the keying...

And remember the OH&S aspects of a 50m 32A 3 phase - those suckers are heavy.

... May I request that someone who knows a bit about them makes a wiki entry about to help educate those of us on the top half of the world?
See (brand new) wiki entry 56 series (formatting is being worked upon).

@taptotweet, please list your location as, at a minimum, Australia, so we don't inundate you with North American answers. Listing Location used to be mandatory; I don't know when/why that changed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back