Software Light Control

LPdan

Hello,
I am looking for a relatively simple software/widget based lighting control solution for theatrical use. Typical setup is a dozen PAR cans, maybe 20 LED wash fixtures, and a couple movers.
I explored a few Chauvet ShowXpress training videos, and looked at discussions here, but it seems more oriented at creating dance floor light shows. I definetely need to be able to create scenes and fade between them, for example.
Any recommendations for what I should be looking at?

My company specializes in software for theaters and may have what you need. Please take a look at Cue Player Lighting on our site. We know of users even running from a laptop. You will need a USB to DMX interface from someone like DMX King or Enttec to complete the setup.

Let's go through the usual contenders.
Are you a student or teacher, look at the ETC Nomad student bundle, $250. You can use OSC and key pads for more access.
As @coldnorth57 mentioned M-pc, they have several nifty devices when you need more control.
Avolites Titan has a low priced dongle.
ChamSys is well regarded and you can get into it fairly cheaply.
Cue Player might just be the ticket, and you know where to get ahold of @dbaxter.
You can download most(all?) of these and take them for a test drive.
They might have apps available so you can have the equivalent of "Magic Sheets" running to quickly grab a look.
Something else you can do is get the Capture student trial version and set up a light rig without setting up a light rig to see how they work.

D-pro and the entech dongle.. Pretty versatile Can set up a graphic hang (magic sheet) and even show beams and colors when stuff is on.
Does pretty much 99% of what we ever do on our ion now. We ran one show on it when we got our first LED's and then some money dropped
into our laps from a bequeath, and we got the ion.. but was lightyears more advanced than the old etc 48/96 I test drove lots of software, and
this one just was the most natural choice for me.

All good suggestions so far - I'd just throw into the ring Light Factory -
https://www.lightfactory.net/store/category/3?mPath=1&osCsid=h6o7cqpn9feh9u26ma7cfk1867

you can download and install and run in demo version to look at environment. I've been running the LF25 package for rig testing and small setups and have been pretty pleased with the intuitive controls (plus effects engines, multi-playbacks, etc.) Also, they're super responsive to questions about the software.

Thank you everyone for all of these suggestions, I have a lot to look into! One final question, as it doesn't seem to have been addressed yet. Is ShowXpress not a good contender among these options for what I'm trying to do? Just don't want to rule anything out for lack of understanding.

ShowXpress is really more of a club/dancefloor playback software, not really suited well to theatrical playback.

Hello,
I am looking for a relatively simple software/widget based lighting control solution for theatrical use. Typical setup is a dozen PAR cans, maybe 20 LED wash fixtures, and a couple movers.
I explored a few Chauvet ShowXpress training videos, and looked at discussions here, but it seems more oriented at creating dance floor light shows. I definetely need to be able to create scenes and fade between them, for example.
Any recommendations for what I should be looking at?
You're going to get a lot of replies here but for your modest needs I reckon a great bang for the (free) buck must be QLCPlus. You'll need a USB/DMX dongle (analogous to your widget I think) - You can pay a lot for the ENTTEC USB Pro or get one of the far less expensive dongles. QLCPlus runs uDMX very well. FOrgot to mention that this program has a totally awesome forum with a lot of good help. Oh yeh, it does audio and video as well! Best of luck with your project

I use ShowXpress for plays here at local middle schools and it works great. you can use the 3d mode to map out your stage and place your fixtures in the space. it gives you a real feel for what it will look like in real life. it does become a glorified dimmer pack but you also have all the movement and color choices you fixture allows at your finger tips. while its true a lot of Djs are using it to sync to music for their light show it can also be used in a setting such as a play or wedding. the only set back is the prices for the USB to DMX converter you need to buy to run the program. as they have just raised their prices a bit but still worth it if you're using it for multiple applications like I am.

proxy.php

I use a Hog 4 DMX widget. They are $680 new and I have seen them go a low as $250 used on Ebay, which is where I've bought 3. Serious software, easy to use, the online tutorials would get you up to speed on setting up palettes, programming and setting cues. Hog was bought by ETC and large desk is used at many festivals and major tours along with GrandMa2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back