Something like the Ark of the Covenant

I am a student at a university in Iowa. Every year I work on a drag/burlesque show. This upcoming year is the last year we will have the Drag Queen who got the whole thing going. To celebrate the director wants something elaborate brought on stage. She wants a sort of Ark of the Covenant(from Raiders of the Lost Ark) complete with a haze machine and a blinding light for when it opens.

The director wants it brought on by two of the cast and then opened to this big effect. So I need to find a way to have a haze and light effect, with power coming from the ark itself that I can control at the light board both efficiently and have it not break the bank. Does anyone have an idea of where to start with this?

Can you count on the performers? I would hav them trigger some "smoke in a can", filling the inside with smoke to be released when the lid was removed. I would then have battery opperated LEDs that they could either turn on or be turned on before they head out on stage.

What kind of budget are you working on?

i agree with Ruinexplorer, LED lighting would be the way to go if you want blinding. Those units can be found cheap on amazon. As far as controlling them, how familiar are you with electrical wiring? Also where on stage is this going and where is it entering from? Does anyone dance behind it?

If the unit is off to the side or all the way upstage and there is one face of the unit where no one goes you could find the correct gauge wire, depending on the specs of the lighting instrument you use, and run it stage pin to edison or zip. create a loom for your data cable and you could even split your AC and Data to a hazer should you have the ability to get one.

if it must be danced around and there is no logical and clean cable path to be had and that 5 c's is just for this project and not for other aspects of your show then here is a link to a cheap LED light. CHAUVET FREEDOM PAR LED <BR>Battery Power & Wirel | IDJNOW.COM

Thats 250 and they claim free shipping. i would also look at Amazon.com to see if this price point can't be beat. As for the smoke, is there an ASM that could be trusted? Madhatter Magic Shop - Colored Smoke Cartridges (Choice of Colors)

I am not too familiar with Iowa's smoke, fire, special effects laws. But the link directly above may be the answer or the beginning of the answer. Set one of those puppies off and close the lid real quick. i am sure they sell them in just a regular grey smoke form too.

I hope i was able to help.

how many performances are you running? There are cheaper smoke balls on that site. I cant vouch for their quality though. The two links i can Vouch for.

--Nick

i agree with Ruinexplorer, LED lighting would be the way to go if you want blinding. Those units can be found cheap on amazon. As far as controlling them, how familiar are you with electrical wiring? Also where on stage is this going and where is it entering from? Does anyone dance behind it?

If the unit is off to the side or all the way upstage and there is one face of the unit where no one goes you could find the correct gauge wire, depending on the specs of the lighting instrument you use, and run it stage pin to edison or zip. create a loom for your data cable and you could even split your AC and Data to a hazer should you have the ability to get one.

if it must be danced around and there is no logical and clean cable path to be had and that 5 c's is just for this project and not for other aspects of your show then here is a link to a cheap LED light. CHAUVET FREEDOM PAR LED <BR>Battery Power & Wirel | IDJNOW.COM

Thats 250 and they claim free shipping. i would also look at Amazon.com to see if this price point can't be beat. As for the smoke, is there an ASM that could be trusted? Madhatter Magic Shop - Colored Smoke Cartridges (Choice of Colors)

I am not too familiar with Iowa's smoke, fire, special effects laws. But the link directly above may be the answer or the beginning of the answer. Set one of those puppies off and close the lid real quick. i am sure they sell them in just a regular grey smoke form too.

I hope i was able to help.

how many performances are you running? There are cheaper smoke balls on that site. I cant vouch for their quality though. The two links i can Vouch for.

--Nick

You also have to add in the extra $120+ for one of their transmitters. It sounds like a one off, or very short run, in which case I would just rent them, odds are someone in your area has some, or something similar.

I agree with techieman33, rental is probably your best bet. As much as I hate to give away business, I suggest you try a couple of places just 20 miles up the road in Cedar Rapids.

Sound Concepts

16th Ave. Music – Sound Production and Event Lighting

If you go to Sound Concepts, ask for Scott and tell him Michael Powers from CLE sent you. Actually, if you go to either one, let them know where you got the info.

"OF COURSE" we are a far, FAR, better company, and of course much nicer guys and definitely more handsome :), but the distance would make it way too cost prohibitive on a $500 budget, for us to offer anything.

Last edited:
To keep the budget down I would mess around with the idea of a home brew dry ice setup and a battery powered light. Turn on the light, dump the dry ice in the water, close the lid, dancers enter, careful to not spill water, open and close lid as needed.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I was talking it over with the director today and it looks like we are going in a different direction (which is better for my time constraints).

I may work on this idea in m spare time just for fun though. I really wish I could get my hands on one of those Chauvet Freedom instruments, just to play around with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back