Control/Dimming Something new coming soon: Martin M1 console

I usually ride a Specialized Hardrock mt. bike but I think I might change to a road bike, because, well, I do 88% of my riding on road. My dad has an 85 Mercier with campy components that I may be riding more often...

Hummm I guess the next time I want to have a serious conversation on lighting product I will have more chances on a bike component manufacturer forum than here!
Usually the CB Mods/Senior Team do a pretty good job of keeping threads on topic, but this one has taken so many turns and twists I wouldn't know where to begin!

From Content Policies/Stay On Topic:
Keep on-topic for the thread in question. The ControlBooth.com Senior Team will provide guidance and re-direction when topics venture too far into the gray area between on-topic and off-topic. Our purpose is to keep the community flowing in the right direction (as defined by the ControlBooth.com Mission Statement), not to attack anyone's position or thought.

So Paul, when might I see my friendly local lighting vendors have the M1 available for rental?

Usually the CB Mods/Senior Team do a pretty good job of keeping threads on topic, but this one has taken so many turns and twists I wouldn't know where to begin!

From Content Policies/Stay On Topic

Derek and Paul sorry about that :mrgreen:, hmm perhaps we need to start a new thread in off-topic>transportation on cycling....

Paul tell me about this LCD screen I can't wrap my head around it. Is it detachable or optional? What happens if I sit off to the side of it? Is it adjustable?

Hello Tom!

Sorry for the delay, I've been away for some days due to PL&S in Frankfurt.

The LCD screen is built-in and flips like a laptop screen.
it is very wel design to endure the most thoughest road.
The LCD front is protected by a touchscreen surface.

The response we got in Frankfurt for the new M1 was simply outstanding.
Soon there will be sone in the USA travaliing from city to city. I hope you can manage to see it.

Where do I go to read about lighting gear - 1-800 BIKE FORUM.

Come on people soem of want to be educated about lighting gear not trudge through 20 paged of off topic dribble.

Where do I go to read about lighting gear - 1-800 BIKE FORUM.

Come on people soem of want to be educated about lighting gear not trudge through 20 paged of off topic dribble.

That's right Kendal, I rather read a shameless plug then 100 off topics replies... ;-)

BTW, for those who didn't like the first version of my M1 video I spend a weekend adding more details to it and figure out the focus ring on the lens ;-) The first 40 second is similar but after that it is all new content.
I used Sony Vegas Pro editor and a Canon 5D MKII to do that.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting, looks very interesting maybe I can get a demo sometime!

WTF !, I step away for a month and the Bike thread is gone !.

So does the new Martin have a standard or compact road crank ?.

(Grin)

The New Martin M1

I posted this earlier but it never shower up so if it's a duplicate - sorry.

A few Weeks ago I asked for some kind help here on this site regarding selecting a new lighting console and dozens of people chimed in with great insight, which led me on a quest to find the best board.
Well we all know there is no best board, there is only the best board for YOU.
I called all the big boys on the list you all suggested and got some great response and some not so great responses from dealers and or manufacturers.
Today I did a Demo with the new Martin M1 and all I can say is I found THE best board for ME. Matthias was able to fly round the touch screen and make the moving lights in the room dance. For those that need and want some great technical info from me there isn’t enough space here to explain. I do know as many scenarios that have plagued me in the past the M1 had a solution.
Medium size unit, folding touch screen, it incorporated a solid proven software the same software in their flagship unit. Sufficed to say the board probably has more bell and whistles than most of us will ever need or wish for. These guys put some long and hard thoughts into this beauty and their not quite done with perfecting it, but it will hit the USA for distribution soon.
First of all a huge shout out to the great staff at Martin in Los Angeles, you guys are the best. I’ve been around a lot of people in my 30 plus years in business and these guys at Martin are some of the finest in the business.
Sadly 70% of what Matthias showed me went right over my head and the things that Matthias was most proud of went wasted on me. Rather than me massacre an amazing demo I encourage anyone who is looking for a new counsel to give the M1 a hard look.
Here’s my own example. I’ve had some 3W Chinese LED’s that are great yet no manufacturer was able to write a profile for the light. A few tried, none succeeded. Matthias got the same info as all the others and then we hooked up my light to his board and Matthias made my light do things I didn’t know it was capable of doing all with a few key strokes.
Name another manufacturer that will give you the cell number of the person who designed the board and helped develop the software to the product you are dealing with? Name on that will do that for a person who isn’t even a customer, again that would be none, yet Martin did both for me. It’s not all about the equipment it has a whole lot to do with service. I need to know someone will be there to answer a question if I have a problem and the doors are about to open. We’ve all been there.
Let me also tell you there is a lighting Nirvana at Martin, a room full of the latest and greatest toys on the Market.
This board far, far exceeds my expectations not to mention my abilities and really frees you up to now create a design without limits to the equipment.
Even though I am a dealer for one of the big boys, get in line behind me because I will own an M1, nough said.

My advice - you need a series of instruction videos like ION has.

You're missing an E
0100100100100000010011010010000001001111010011100100010100100000011101000110100001100101011100100110011001101111011100100110010100100000010010010010000001001101

Last edited:
Re: Nice review on the Martin M1

Well Derek sent me a PM after I posted some pics of last night when I used the M1 asking me to post a review, so here goes. Also note, the console I used was a prototype martin has been sending around, one of the first ones built, so I assume there have been a few minor hardware changes since this one was built.

Our youth group was moved into a different building last night, and we had the M1 to use. I brought in 6x stagebar 54s, 6x 16 pixel led tubes, and the m1. The console was surprisingly light, one person could easily carry it and walk with it. The fold down screen was also very nice and solid.

The console has a 2ghz processor (i missed how much ram there is), so it is very fast. Our Maxxyz full size loads our main showfile in 11 minutes, while the M1 loaded it in only 1:30.

The software that the M1 uses is the same as the rest of the Maxxyz line (full size, compact, and pc), so it was a little awkward for programming. They took out the trackbelts and replaced them with only 4 wheels. Also, they took out the second section of LCD buttons, so there is a CV toggle button above them which switches the function of the LCD buttons and the parameter wheels. I didn't have time to set up a second screen, so the one screen seemed a little small, but it was great for convenience. Also, they removed the slide out keyboard, which was annoying because the touchscreen keyboard was difficult to use and I had to use an external keyboard.

One thing that I really liked was the 12 extra faders, which i used for manually controlling the individual colors on the three different groups (curtain stagebars, front stagebars, and led tubes). Also, the 12 extra select buttons were very nice, I used them to lay out all of the songs in the set, so I could save screen space and not use the playback buttons panel. They also added a new panel which shows the extra faders and select buttons, so that you can still know what they are even though there arent lcd buttons.

There were also a few minor glitches that I am sure the will fix in the future:
The knobs werent smooth all the way around.
Some of the leds on the console would flicker sometimes.
There is no way (that I could find) to remove a cuelist from one of the extra select buttons.
The onscreen keyboard didn't always work.

All in all, my experience with the M1 was great. I think Martin did a great job packing all of the functionality of a Maxxyz into a smaller, less expensive, and more portable console. I'm looking forward to getting one (or more) permanently when our church expands some of our existing rooms and adds some video venues.

Pic of course:

proxy.php

Last edited:

Quick bump, but I just found out I am getting an M1 for a show later this month. I can't seem to find the manual for it on Martin's website.... Can anyone help a brother out?

I'm pretty excited for it, they are giving me a button wing too!

So this weekend I had the privilege to get to take the new Martin M1 with button wing on a spin for a concert. My rig consisted of Martin 301s, 401s and a 350. I was lucky to have two days for the in and show so I had plenty of time to muck around with it.

For the TL;DR crowd let me cut to the conclusion first and then get into detail. I still like the grandMA better, it could just be that I know the MA better, but I think I like it more. But, I would have no problem using this desk again in the future, and I would take it over a hog any day of the week. Its also half the price of a series one ultralite, which makes it a crazy good deal.

The show was a mixture of pre-cued songs and busked portions so I got to try the desk in two different ways which was great. For working in a structured format, I love it. The configurable button wing made it easy to grab groups and then pallets while using real buttons (which is a perk to me!) I found the attribute navigation to be easy and could get around quickly. With working in a cue stack I found effects to work well. It still bothers me some that effects are treated as an extension of the attributes and not as a separate confined entity, but I did like that I could quickly dial down the size to pause and restarts effects in the cue. The only things that slowed me down were fumbling with release and go buttons on the desk while playing back the show, but that will go away with more time on the desk.

Now for busking I was not as happy with it. When I was show the button wing and I figured out a layout, I was like great, I can grab groups of lights and change them via pallets in real time, at a speed adjustable by the live time scroller on the wing. Awesome. What I did not realize, was attributes loaded into the programmer always take precedence over cues, always. What that means is if I throw my lights into a blue color in the programmer, I can't use a executor button to do a flash to white, or see the changes in any other cues fired. While that was helpful for re adjusting positions of key lights mid show, it cramped my style for busking.

In the end, I'd say I like the desk, going out for a little under $11K it packs a lot of punch and can get the job done. I'll still take my MA, but I won't complain if I walk in to an M1 especially if it has the button wing on the side. There are a ton of features I didn't have time to really get into, but if anyone has questions I can answer them to the best of my ability.

Show photos:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:

I had a chance to try out the M1 some weeks ago and I'd agree with Weebl. The client I was testing it for (church install) loved it, and the price tag is red-hot-fabulous.

Coming from an MA background, like Weebl, it seemed a fairly familiar board to me. It felt like someone walked into Martin HQ with a GrandMA ultra-lite and said "make one of these... for half the price." A lot of the base functionality feels almost identical.

The only beefs I had about it, however, were that somethings were overly complex for no stated reason at all. Such as:
1. the differences between submasters and sequences. Yes, there is one. If you record one cue as a submaster, it's one cue and can't take an additional one on the stack. If you record it as a sequence, it can take additional cues, and it functions exactly like a submaster... except with different rules (submasters engage when you bring the fader up, sequences reguire you to bring the fader up and hit the go button... unless that's the last handle you changed, in which case you don't have to bring the handle up, simply hit Go, OR bring the handle up and back down again).
2. External monitors and arranging palettes. I created a window on the external monitor. Once. By accident. None of the techs managed to replicate that feat. There's no intuitive way to do it.
3. The difference between the "main" faders (with select, and go buttons) and the "submaster" faders (with a fader and a button). The submaster faders are so small they're really only useful for fading up to max or putting something like a variable speed fan for your hazer on. I'd prefer twice as many buttons to a sub-par fader arrangement.

All in all, a great deal for the money, and even better, most of the issues I've noticed are software based. I'd likely move this from "uhmmm... maybe" to "must buy" once the next major software update comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back