Sound bites ?

whaleboat

What do radio talk show hosts and DJ's use to playback soundbites and effects like brakes squeeling , applause , etc. When I'm listening to a talk show , sometimes the sound effects are spontaneous , sort of going with the flow of the show , and happen way to quick to be on a CD , or anything else I can think of . Thanks , David

I suspect they are using a software or hardware sampler, with the sounds pre-loaded and buffered and a simple trigger pad or key press will trigger the sound. Kinda like running Sound (Show) Cue System for sound effects in live theatre.

What do radio talk show hosts and DJ's use to playback soundbites and effects like brakes squeeling , applause , etc. When I'm listening to a talk show , sometimes the sound effects are spontaneous , sort of going with the flow of the show , and happen way to quick to be on a CD , or anything else I can think of . Thanks , David

GPFORET is right on the money. Radio stations, more importantly radio personalities, have their favorite sound clips & sound bites preloaded into the digital system (a desktop PC mapped to a network repository of sound bites/clips). For their most frequently played clips, it is a hot key, for infrequently played clips, they will either make a "playlist" so the news can be played at the top of the hour or it will be called up and broadcast live.

Bottom line, it is just a fancy copmuter with playback and cueing software.

I have used a hardware solution, but cannot for the life of me think of what it is called. I was familiarized with it at school and it is/was also used on the Disney On Ice show I worked on. It is basically a few banks of buttons, and you can edit on it. I think it was kind of a clever name, one that I would know as soon as I heard or saw it. I can picture what it looks like like, but the name, I just can't see. I tried to google it, but the only stuff I could find was software, since everything is headed that way now days, Somebody here has to know what I am talking about.

I have used a hardware solution, but cannot for the life of me think of what it is called. I was familiarized with it at school and it is/was also used on the Disney On Ice show I worked on. It is basically a few banks of buttons, and you can edit on it. I think it was kind of a clever name, one that I would know as soon as I heard or saw it. I can picture what it looks like like, but the name, I just can't see. I tried to google it, but the only stuff I could find was software, since everything is headed that way now days, Somebody here has to know what I am talking about.

Me thinks you are trying to describe 360 Systems Instant Replay, either the original or the version 2 linked there...

In terms of cueing sounds like a radio station --

For a podcast I used to program a Korg NanoPad into garageband under the podcast settings, which allow you to drag and drop your favorite effects onto the keys of the digital keyboard. That digital keyboard will map to the NanoPad and do the effects like you'd want in a radio station!

You should see the stack of CARTS in my garage my my wife's radio news days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back