Sound feed to the lobby?

JLNorthGA

The powers that be have suggested putting sound in the lobby. During the concerts at our facility, it really isn't needed - you can usually hear something (though not with any great fidelity). During the plays, that's another question.

I have resisted so far. I can think of better things for our money.

What do y'all say? Good idea or no? The sound booth is on the other side of the lobby wall, so it wouldn't be too much of a problem running cable.

We have a digital signage system that, when the planets Crestron and Extron are in perfect alignment, will play audio. It's handy, but I only use it for Muzak.

I'm not sure what you're thinking about with audio during theatre productions - so late arrivals can hear when it's OK to enter?

We set up a large video monitor with sound in the lobby right next to the ticket booth. That way if the usher at the door holds late arrivals from entering during a quiet or dramatic scene, the late people can follow the action. Also, the ticket booth personnel can watch the show too.

I don't see the point of piping the sound into an empty lobby. It would make more sense to send the show audio into the bathrooms so that people don't miss anything while they're "taking care of business".

We set up a large video monitor with sound in the lobby right next to the ticket booth. That way if the usher at the door holds late arrivals from entering during a quiet or dramatic scene, the late people can follow the action. Also, the ticket booth personnel can watch the show too.

We do this too and the ushers love it. It makes crowd control much easier. In a thousand-seat hall we sometimes have fifty or more people awaiting late seating. It's also really good for people with small children. The only thing we have to be careful of is that our lobby is shared with another hall across the way so we have to be moderate with the volume level. (You didn't ask, but sharing your lobby also can put the kibosh on pre-show lobby "concerts.")

I am the TD of a small theatre, and for as long as I can remember we have had lobby sound. For us, we just have a few small speakers that are tied into our sound system, so we can run basically any audio into the lobby. Typically we only use it for Preshow/Intermission music as well as for chimes, etc. I find it is nice to have and depending on the size of your lobby you may be able to get away with some inexpensive consumer speakers (that's what we use), so you are not spending $100+ on each speaker. However, if you are spending money, I personally would spend the extra bucks (if you have it) and put some video in as well, because that can double both for FOH/ Box Office to watch the show, as well as for promotional stuff before and after the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back