Source Four LED Cyc???

JackMVHS

I was just on the ETC facebook page, and there was reference to a new product, the Source Four LED Cyc!!

Does anyone know anything about this? It seems that they are showing a sneak preview of it at PLASA Focus in the UK.

All I can find online about the new fixture is the facebook post from ETC and this image on a blog:

etc2.jpg

It appears to be a source four LED with a different lens/reflector attachment.

Thoughts? Other information about it?

Here is the facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151361232110946&set=a.98573705945.101553.7586890945&type=1

I understand it was at USITT (though, unfortunately, I was not). One of the ETC folks I chatted with after commented on how little attention it received at the show; I guess everyone was more interested in the Source Four Mini...

Best,
John

Wow. Excellent concept, but ugliest thing ever. ;)

I assume this isn't heat resistant enough for tungsten? If it was, would the optics even work for such a point source? I could see this being useful as an accessory for those strapped on cash.

Last edited:
I have not seen it to evaluate the lighting job it does on a sky drop or cyc but do appreciate that with a lens barrel, it has other uses. And of course unlike the Selador classic - which I thought did affine job on sky drops and cys, it is intended to be at a more conventional distance from the drop, as opposed to the Selador being in the 20" range and scraping. I anticipate a full fledge roll out around LDI.

I got a tip that it will be back at ETC NY in about a week and a half, so I'm gonna see if I can stop into the office around then to pay Nick Gonsman a visit.

I understand it was at USITT (though, unfortunately, I was not). One of the ETC folks I chatted with after commented on how little attention it received at the show; I guess everyone was more interested in the Source Four Mini...

Best,
John

To be fair, they didn't have them plastered all over their booth. HAD they been pushing it the same, I'm sure it would have received more attention.

It has to be more than that or we would still see shutters, accessory slots, etc.

Just like the regular S4's the S4 LED has a break where the lens and shutter assembly spins. From the looks of things this thing attaches at that point... so you will have to remove the entire shutter assembly.

Would be nice to have everything onstage using the same color engine. My only concern is how deep the thing is... in a world where we all cram as much as possible between the cyc lights and the back wall every pipe is priceless, if you have to kill 3 battens because of the depth that could be an issue. Might not be, but it is a real consideration. One of the things I like about the spectra cyc 200 is that it is only 7.5" deep (though they have their cable connections on the back of the unit which would take up a few inches of space).

but in theory you could over hang this fixture above the cyc you are attempting to light.

Granted, I'm taking this from the only knowledge I have is from the picture above... I think this think is supposed to act like a tradition sky cyc instead of more of a strip unit Therefore, it would need to be at least 4' or so away from the cyc.

but in theory you could over hang this fixture above the cyc you are attempting to light.

Agreeing with Kyle, intent us 5' or so from drop and 5' or so on center. As compared to lighting with Selador Classic or other "scraper" style led drop light, should require fewer and therefore be less expensive to light a whole drop or cyc, a basic marketing goal, just like being able to convert to a profile. Anyone think there aren't prototype fresnel like front ends laying around somewhere? It is after all show Business.

Best,
John

Also to be fair, it didnt look very good in their booth. Everything just looked uneven and not totally done on the unit, and they talked about it for maybe 2 seconds in the layers of light session.

And for the source 4 mini, at that price, Ill buy half a source 4 thank you very much.

Also to be fair, it didnt look very good in their booth. Everything just looked uneven and not totally done on the unit, and they talked about it for maybe 2 seconds in the layers of light session.

Indeed you are correct about that. Those were not the final optics and we decided not to spend a lot of time talking about them until such time as we worked out the last details. Should be done soon.

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back