Source Four LED Cyc???

...Your next assignment, should you choose to accept it, is the Source4 Beam projector. No, really there is some interest in a modified Source4Par for use as a beam projector, since the real thing is rather scarce. ...
Shouldn't be terribly difficult--it already has the parabolic reflector. Bring back the ACL lens, slap a Bortz Dot after the lamp, and away we go...
Peak/cosine (spot/flood) lamp adjustment could be tricky in an S4-PAR, however. It might have to use the S4-ERS lamp cap.

I'd like to see a S4LED without a lens tube. Perhaps that source is a laminar "beam" that might be close. Somehow the focal length of the parabolic reflector in the S4PAR seems wrong for a beam projector and too small to capture enough of the lamps lumens. As I recall a bp is very inefficient, basically absorbing a large portion of the light and thus the largish reflector and the spherical reflector in front of the lamp.

lens 2.JPG

lens 1.JPG

I'd like to see a S4LED without a lens tube. Perhaps that source is a laminar "beam" that might be close. Somehow the focal length of the parabolic reflector in the S4PAR seems wrong for a beam projector and too small to capture enough of the lamps lumens. As I recall a bp is very inefficient, basically absorbing a large portion of the light and thus the largish reflector and the spherical reflector in front of the lamp.

Here's a pic of the beam from a S4 Leko with and without a lens tube

I've got some $50 DJ lights that'll do the same thing...

I think the industry slang for these lens tubes should be "vacuum cleaner nozzles". ;)

Or Source Four Squeegee :)

It is a little shorter than I thought, so that's good!

Last edited:
9649-source-four-led-cyc-cyc_390x220_4.jpg

Homely looking thing, isn't it?
Sorry Les, I forgot you already mentioned that:
Wow. Excellent concept, but ugliest thing ever. ;) ...

Attachments

• cyc_390x220_4.jpg
    cyc_390x220_4.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 792
I hope all those mirrors aren't glass.

They are not glass. Lots of plastic and aluminum.

Do note that some other LED cyc lights do use glass. Of course a lot of light fixtures have used glass for a long time. Is there an application where this would be a problem or is it just that most cyc units don't have glass?

David

I've got to be honest - I'm not sure I see the utility of a fixture to light a ( white) cyc that uses seven colors. Sure there are a few extremely saturated colors you can get, but do you typically need them for a cyc?

For twice the cost of ( say) an Altman spectra cyc - do I get twice the utility? Somehow I doubt it.

I believe the marketing strategy is as an accessory for your inventory of Source Four LED engines. I could see a new facility loading up on Lustr+ with a selection of lens tubes and some of these. Imagine some time in the future when the current crop of Source Four LEDs has been obsoleted by the new technology. It might be nice to be able retire the old stock to the cyc and extend their usefulness.

They are not glass. Lots of plastic and aluminum.

Do note that some other LED cyc lights do use glass. Of course a lot of light fixtures have used glass for a long time. Is there an application where this would be a problem or is it just that most cyc units don't have glass?

David

True, most fixtures have glass lenses, and the newer ones have glass reflectors. The problem I could if those were glass is that it's so exposed to the open making it easy for someone to be careless and break it while sitting around in storage. Or someone not paying attention and bringing in the pipe next to them and hitting them, possibly breaking the glass and sending shards raining down. I know my cyc lights get bumped a couple times a year just because of that.

I've got to be honest - I'm not sure I see the utility of a fixture to light a ( white) cyc that uses seven colors. Sure there are a few extremely saturated colors you can get, but do you typically need them for a cyc?

For twice the cost of ( say) an Altman spectra cyc - do I get twice the utility? Somehow I doubt it.

You might find it more useful if the cyc were changed by a road show to a painted drop. Possibly then the extra colors would be needed.

Having only briefly demo'd a 7 color Selador Vivid R 21" unit and not having time to see how all the 7 colors work, I can't say for certain and I've yet to hear from or read about real world experiences of folks who use RGB. vs. RGBA, vw. RGBW, vs. Selador 7 color on cyc's and painted drops.

I am kind of interested to see this thing in action. The utility of having "one fixture to rule them all" is kind of lost on me. Most places I have worked, from presenting houses to road houses leaves their "cyc electric" hung, circuited, and focused 24/7/365 simply because it is too much hassle to strike the fixtures. Added to this thing you have to install the shutter assembly and the barrel to the fixture you really eat up some time before you get that fixture "back".

My 2 cents having never touched the product, I see this as "multipar 2.0". With ETC finally giving us a Fresnel, I was hoping they would grace us with an actual cyc light. Without touching it I can't say if this is it or not. I would love to hear someone who has lit a 25x50 cyc with these.

Sticking my oar in the water, and with tongue firmly in cheek, isn't this product misnamed? The Source4 is named for the 4 filament coils of the hpl lamp. This doesn't use the hpl lamp but the 7 color led engine so shouldn't it be called the Source7. No clue on what the proper name should be for the Source4 Mini.

Sticking my oar in the water, and with tongue firmly in cheek, isn't this product misnamed? The Source4 is named for the 4 filament coils of the hpl lamp. This doesn't use the hpl lamp but the 7 color led engine so shouldn't it be called the Source7. No clue on what the proper name should be for the Source4 Mini.

Sela-cyc-oid

I am kind of interested to see this thing in action. The utility of having "one fixture to rule them all" is kind of lost on me. Most places I have worked, from presenting houses to road houses leaves their "cyc electric" hung, circuited, and focused 24/7/365 simply because it is too much hassle to strike the fixtures. Added to this thing you have to install the shutter assembly and the barrel to the fixture you really eat up some time before you get that fixture "back".

My 2 cents having never touched the product, I see this as "multipar 2.0". With ETC finally giving us a Fresnel, I was hoping they would grace us with an actual cyc light. Without touching it I can't say if this is it or not. I would love to hear someone who has lit a 25x50 cyc with these.

I agree, my cyc lights move 3 times a year. They get moved twice two weeks straight during nutcracker season, and then moved back to their normal position for the rest of the year. As far as swapping out the shutter assembly I was worried about that too, until I looked into it. After looking at the exploded diagram it looks like all you have to do is remove one knob and one bolt, then the whole things comes off the body.

What about the Source 4 with a 750w HPL? It's all just marketing speak for name recognition anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back