Source Four Mini

I could potentially use a few for my model trains ...

The museum and architecture world has been looking for something like this for some time.

Really? This is not only useful but actually filling a void in architectural lighting? I don't disbelieve you, I just find it odd that there's not something that can shine a 50 watt light and project a gobo. Sure, shutters are probably hard to find, but is that going to be the selling point?

Really? This is not only useful but actually filling a void in architectural lighting? I don't disbelieve you, I just find it odd that there's not something that can shine a 50 watt light and project a gobo. Sure, shutters are probably hard to find, but is that going to be the selling point?

In museums, yes. Especially in interactive type displays, but also in the exhibits that are only around for a few days/weeks.

I had a friend who toured for a year or two with one of the "bodies" exhibits. Every week was a new city.. every week she had to focus roughly 800 pin spots and junky mini ERS units. She said she spent a good part of load in just fixing the ERS and pin shot units. No one makes a good unit that can hold up, at least that is what she told me a few years back.

What would happen if this was just a mock-up that ETC made as an April Fool's joke...

Good thought, but it's not April yet.:cool: I'd like to suggest that those who can, trot on over to USITT this week.

The first CB member to get their pic taken with a S4 Mini and posting it to this thread will get a special swag package from me. That way we'll know it's real and then we can get back to talking about how it works.

Ok?

David

Good thought, but it's not April yet.:cool: I'd like to suggest that those who can, trot on over to USITT this week.

The first CB member to get their pic taken with a S4 Mini and posting it to this thread will get a special swag package from me. That way we'll know it's real and then we can get back to talking about how it works.

Ok?

David

Challenge Accepted.

... The first CB member to get their pic taken with a S4 Mini and posting it to this thread will get a special swag package from me. ...
CB staff members and employees/representatives of ETC not eligible to enter. Some restrictions apply. No purchase necessary. Actual mileage may vary. Kids, get your parents' permission before entering. Batteries not included. Offer not valid in all fifty states. Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear. All construction materials and methods must meet or exceed the most stringent federal, state, and local building, electrical, fire, and life safety codes.

Sweet what do I win?

1WeRXYR.jpg

Sure, and I understand the concept. But even the rough ballpark price range is too high, in my opinion. I feel like these should be $100. Who are they marketing this to? What possible use can it have that people will pay $200+ for it? Sure, it's "cute," but is it useful and worth the price? In my opinion it's a gimmick and will sell solely on that aspect alone. I might buy one for the cuteness aspect, but any real industry acceptance is not going to happen.

It's for real.

ST

This will gain popularity in light labs as well, methinks. Altman makes a nice Micro Ellipse (I own four, myself), so I'm excited to see how this Source Four Mini compares!

One question which I figure will be answered soon enough -- I assume there's no way around that big yoke-mounted transformer although I don't see it pictured (while realizing that it could be chopped out of the picture). Not a deal-breaker at all; just curious. I was thinking of selling my old inkies, but I will be rethinking that if I can expand my micro-lighting collection!

Not a PhotoShop award.

Hey I'm offended, I worked hard for at least 45 seconds making that in paint :mrgreen:

This will gain popularity in light labs as well, methinks. Altman makes a nice Micro Ellipse (I own four, myself), so I'm excited to see how this Source Four Mini compares!

One question which I figure will be answered soon enough -- I assume there's no way around that big yoke-mounted transformer although I don't see it pictured (while realizing that it could be chopped out of the picture). Not a deal-breaker at all; just curious. I was thinking of selling my old inkies, but I will be rethinking that if I can expand my micro-lighting collection!

They do make 120v MR16 lamps, so it doesn't have to have a transformer.

True....but the filaments are much longer, and they run VERY hot. And, for what it's worth, they do NOT have the same pins as the 12v lamps----one has round pins, and one has oval/flat pins.

None of that matters a whole lot when designing a new fixture. They can design the housing to handle the extra heat, and the optics for the different filament.

She said she spent a good part of load in just fixing the ERS and pin shot units. No one makes a good unit that can hold up, at least that is what she told me a few years back.

That sounds more like neglect and apathy on the part of the local museums. Anything can break in the wrong hands. I see no reason a properly used (and not abused) pin spot shouldn't hold up for years. I also think that the museums that would allow such neglect would not be willing to spend the money on these. I hope I'm wrong, maybe I'm just a pessimist.

We have another submision for consideration.
mini.JPG
The product looks real and his email says his name is Fred. But I think he will be denied the swag collection as he seems to be an employee and not currently at the trade show.

I pulled the swag today and will have it with me in Milwaukee so the winner can take home the goodies. Still looking forward to the non-employee, true non-staff CB member photo posting from the show here. Then let's meet on the booth!

See you soon,

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back