SPAX Screws

Molinero

Hi, everyone,

I saw recently a cost analysis of different types of screws -- drywall screws, home-store wood screws, and SPAX construction screws. Surprisingly, the price per unit of SPAX screws was comparable to that of drywall screws.

Given the immense superiority of SPAX compared to drywall screws -- more rugged, quicker start, self-tapping, greater strength, ability to use square-drive bits, useful in various materials -- it would seem they would stand up to more re-use than drywall screws. I, for one, throw out drywall screws after one or two uses.

I'm inclined to start buying SPAX screws in bulk and making a point of re-using them. Anyone here have some thoughts? Am I living in the past thinking the drywall screw is still the bread-and-butter of the scene shop? Got a better option?

We use square-drive screws from either McFeeleys or Rockler. The Rockler's have combination heads and can be used with a Phillips driver. I tried the Spax, but was not impressed with their claim of not having to do a pilot hole. Still got splitting if we didn't drill. We get the black oxide finish and do not normally reuse them - it's too hard to sort properly. We keep each size, by 1/4 in., in a rack of labeled old peanut jars so you can quickly grab the length you need.

I'm using up my drywall screw and converting to star drive Deckmate screw. I throw away all my dry wall screws after using them. If someone puts in a stripped out drywall screw the time lost and damage to the wood to remove it make them less cost effective. The Deckmate screws hold up great and the heads are difficult to strip. I especially like the 3" screw as it has 1 1/2" of clean shank at the top of the screw and it sucks in 2 x 4s perfectly. Only problem I have is that it is too easy to overdrive them. One other issue is that smaller screws have a smaller driver head.

I'm using up my drywall screw and converting to star drive Deckmate screw. I throw away all my dry wall screws after using them. If someone puts in a stripped out drywall screw the time lost and damage to the wood to remove it make them less cost effective. The Deckmate screws hold up great and the heads are difficult to strip. I especially like the 3" screw as it has 1 1/2" of clean shank at the top of the screw and it sucks in 2 x 4s perfectly. Only problem I have is that it is too easy to overdrive them. One other issue is that smaller screws have a smaller driver head.
The philips head is actually designed to prevent overtorque - which make them so easy to strip. With tools incorporating a clutch to limit torque to a user setting being so common, this "feature" of the philips head is no longer desireable. To prevent overdriving your screws, set your tool's clutch appropriately. If you are using tools without a clutch you might want to invest in better tools as well as better screws.

To paraphrase Charleton Heston: "I'll give you my Robertson screws when you pry them from my cold, dead hands".

One note....if you are building anything to ship to Europe, please do not use Robertsons. They don't know what they are and have no tools for them. Just found this out the hard way. :(

David

One note....if you are building anything to ship to Europe, please do not use Robertsons. They don't know what they are and have no tools for them. Just found this out the hard way. :(

David

Most American stagehands don't either, or at least never have the bits for them.

And also Europe has cursed us with Pozidrive so sending Robertson is payback.

The philips head is actually designed to prevent overtorque - which make them so easy to strip. With tools incorporating a clutch to limit torque to a user setting being so common, this "feature" of the philips head is no longer desireable. To prevent overdriving your screws, set your tool's clutch appropriately. If you are using tools without a clutch you might want to invest in better tools as well as better screws.

I've yet to see an impact driver with a clutch.

If you're lacking Robertson/square drive tools and bits, go ask your friendly neighborhood electrician. Though they probably won't be so friendly if you ask to borrow tools, that is if they were friendly to begin with. On second though, just get the correct tools. I do like SPAX in the woodshop at home for jigs and shop furniture.

+1 for McFeeley's. I use the Promaster sawtooth with a combo head. They work much better with a square driver, but your European stagehand can use a phillips in a pinch. I think the sawtooth really cuts down on piloting. They're pretty expensive; if you reuse them you may break even. But the reduction of blood pressure caused by snapping and stripping drywall screws is invaluable.

Living in Canada Robertson screws are always the way to go (however not all are made equal, out-of-spec robertsons, or ones made from crap materials are no fun sometimes.). You have to watch it as some "robertson" screws and drivers are either straight sided or tapered, or one of a variety of multi-head screw.
But Robertsons are still my screw of choice.

However I do like the SPAX screws well enough, have rarely used them. Mostly used them in scenery.

In general I HATE most Philips screws, as it was stated earlier they are DESIGNED to strip the head to prevent over torquing. Especially when the person who put the screw IN doesn't care or doesn't know what they are doing. I've never used drywall screws for scenery, and Id not like to as they aren't very strong and break very easy.

The history of the Robertson screw (called square head by some due to patent reasons) is kind of interesting, and the reason why they aren't used as much outside of Canada.

And yes, many many electrical things use the robertson screw as they are very practical for electrical (however often they are both Roberson and Phillips, depending).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back