Spot op tips

Blake

I've done spot several times but only in a High School or CC setting. Today I start my first professional spot op gig. Just wondering any quick tips on staying focused or just general ideas would be great!

Drives me insane when an op walks in with just high school experience and assumes my spot is the exact same as the one they used in high school. Walk in and ask for 20 minutes or so to get to know your machine. Always impresses me.

I've done spot several times but only in a High School or CC setting. Today I start my first professional spot op gig. Just wondering any quick tips on staying focused or just general ideas would be great!
Get a scope. Fade up and out unless told other wise. Fades are three secs unkes told other wise. Don't loosen up the pan and tilt all the way, leave some drag on them so we don't see how unsteady you are. As the subject moves away from you iris in and reverse when they come closer. Try not to hit the legs and boarders. Keep your month shut unless you have a question about a cue. Make sure you understand the fixture before show time.

LS

Are you putting them on the clock for that extra 20 minutes ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you putting them on the clock for that extra 20 minutes ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Good question! The theatre I work for doesn't pay by the hour for production specific staff. Spot ops are payed a standard rate of $40 a performance. Prospective hires are given a schedule during pre-production and expected to be at all rehearsals and performances beginning on tech day. Scheduling conflicts are resolved 5 weeks out of tech.

If possible focus on the talent's shadow that you are casting with the spot, not on the face or body of the actor. You don't want to put the center of the beam on the face, you want to put the edge of the beam just above the head. Looking at the shadow makes that easier.

The audiences eye is drawn to two things. Brightness and movement. You are providing brightness on the actor. Make sure you do not provide movement on scenic elements that are distracting to the audience. IE if the actor is standing in front of a curtain and you have a hard edge spot on him - and the edge of the spot is clearly visible to the audience - work very hard not to let the spot move if the actor is not moving. Even to the extent that if you are following the actor and when he stops you are ( say) a bit high. It is probably better to leave it where it is until the actor moves instead of sneaking it to its new location. Of course it is better not to miss your focus in the first place.

I'm not hourly so this isn't really an issue. Plus in this particular case I already no the unit I'm working with. Not to mention the SM hasn't made our cue sheets yet so we are just watching the the show this eve

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I always tell my spot ops: "Bright End Towards Stage"

For another show I'd always give the point of "If you find you're the only light on, you're doing it wrong". But that's for rock and roll, YMMV.

If you're going to be doing more spot gigs in the future, I'd invest in one of these. You'll never miss a pickup again

http://www.productionadvantageonline.com/Products/TELRAD.aspx

A theater I freelance occasionally at has them mounted to a thin wood base with rare earth magnets in the bottom. It's really nice to be able to move it around easily and not have to worry about taking gaff up with you in case you have to move it. And once it's in place you easily tweak the positioning, you don't have to worry so much about placing it just right like when your taping it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back