STAGE LIGHTING TROUBLE

john86

I am new to stage lighting. I have an "Elation FC-400" foot controller connected to a "Elation dp-415" dimmer pack, which is connected to 8 "ADJ PAR can 56." Plugged everything in, powered up, and lights will not turn on. Tested lights individually and they work. Again, new at this, instructions aren't much help, and I'm lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What is the address on the dimmer pack? My guess is it needs to be set for the starting value of 000 or 001.

the elation pack uses "1" as the starting address. Check to see if the two red LEDs are lit: one is for "power" and the ssecond should flash to tell you the pack is receiving DMX. If the DMX LED is not flashing first check your cable. If the POWER LED is not lit and the switch is in "ON" position you need to take the pack back to the dealer because unless you are familiar with electronic circuit problem solving I cannot guide you further. If the POWER and DMX LEDs are doing what they should check the fuses to make sure they are not blown. If they are replace them with 5A fuses. These packs can also operate as a "relay" unit by cjhanging one of the DIP switches but that is not the problem you have.

If everything checks out you will need to check the controller and I have no experience with the foot controller.

Okay, something tells me this is a controller problem. Check your light board to make sure it is set up perfectly. Check each step of the system: 1st make sure everything is patched correctly, then make sure that you are using the correct method to turn everything on, next check every plug to make sure it's all the way in, then check to make sure no wires are nicked.

Another course of action would be to try and isolate the problem to figure out what it is. Try a different light on the same set up to see if it's the light. If the other light works, the PAR is your problem. If not, the controller or dimmer is. Next, try the same set up using a different dimmer. If this works, the dimmer is your problem. If not, the controller or one of the connections is your problem. Continue with this same course of logic to eliminate all other components of the equation. Eventually, you should be able to find your problem. This sounds tricky, but if you have maybe 3 people then you can get it done in a few hours. Not easy, but far better than not being able to use lights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back