Control/Dimming Stage pin receptacle problems

I am in a space that is about 16 years old (not that old overall) and has 3 theaters. All with similar problems.

The lighting distro has many circuit boxes with panel mounted stage pin receptacles. I have been having problems with many of the panel receptacles pulling out. The small flags to help stabilize the receptacles appear to be bent and/or rusted. Some receptacles have melted as well but that may or may not be related.

Our cable inventory has a variety of connectors: pintech, Bates, Propin, union, etc... So I am sure that is contributing to the issues as well as the high humidity levels in the summer.

I am in a position to replace the receptacles but it seems like just replacing them will result in needing to replace them again in the future.

Any thoughts or advice from you all out there? Attaching some photos.
IMG_5951.JPG
IMG_5947.JPG

Connector brand of cables and instruments shouldn't matter too much. This appears to be more so a problem of misuse, improper maintenance and possibly just poor quality materials of the initial installation. The summerstock I work at is 1/4 mile from the ocean, is not air conditioned, and has a system older than this installed that was used and has only a couple minor problems of this type. Doubtful anywhere in Eastern PA has harsher conditions for equipment. It appears that someone may have overdone the splitting of cables at some point or shoved cables with bent pins on the connectors, thus requiring the use of a screwdriver to remove them from the receptacles. Or the opposite may be true- pns were allowed to get their sides too pushed together or too worn (or they cleaned them too much which can wear away the metal), thus causing arcing that got the pins stuck in the receptacles. Obviously someone has replaced at least one of the female connectors- your photo shows a newer Bates connector was used to replace a broken one. As long as the actual boxes are in good shape and the newer females will still work with any damage to the boxes accrued by past damage, I'd just replace them and work on making sure that proper maintenance procedures are followed.

Just replace the damaged plugs and move on. I usually replace one or two a year from damage like that. Most of it is from the drop boxes being dropped, or dragged around on their face when coiling them back up.

Melted and burned connectors are also a maintenance issue. The pins on the male connectors tend to close their gap and the pin is no longer a tight fit, thus the heating and burning. (use a pin splitter to correct.) Also, the crimps/connection in the connector can become loose and cause heating.

My old ones (~25 years) look like that, too.

The newer receptacles seem to be made of a more flexible plastic, and don't suffer the breakage that the old ones do. Or maybe the brittleness is due to age and heat? Either way, putting in the new ones is worth it. And the method for pushing the little metal wings out has improved, as well - you'll probably utter a few expletives when removing the old ones. And be sure to wear some eye protection, as there will likely come a time that you'll resort to just smashing the old ones to smithereens to get them out of their holes.

Melting is, as JD points out above, also something you'll need to deal with. Check the insides of the boxes while you're replacing the broken receptacles, and go through your cable stock regularly with a pin splitter.

HTH,
Jen

Many connectors were made out of Bakelite, an early plastic that was invented in 1909. It is still in wide use because it is very strong. Unfortunately, it also tends to be very brittle. It is slowly falling out of favor on portable applications like connectors as there are now very strong plastics available that are not as brittle. From what I can see in the photo set, the female connectors appear to be Bakelite.

I am in a space that is about 16 years old (not that old overall) and has 3 theaters. All with similar problems.

The lighting distro has many circuit boxes with panel mounted stage pin receptacles. I have been having problems with many of the panel receptacles pulling out. The small flags to help stabilize the receptacles appear to be bent and/or rusted. Some receptacles have melted as well but that may or may not be related.

Our cable inventory has a variety of connectors: pintech, Bates, Propin, union, etc... So I am sure that is contributing to the issues as well as the high humidity levels in the summer.

I am in a position to replace the receptacles but it seems like just replacing them will result in needing to replace them again in the future.

Any thoughts or advice from you all out there? Attaching some photos. View attachment 10672View attachment 10673

Photos show some Union Connector female panel mounts that are no longer on the market. Even still have an account with that brand and recently in buying some they sent me Bates/Marinco panel mount as opposed to what in the photo I ordered for a customer. Gee, thanks for paying more for an outlet brand I also have an account with. Product was still on the UC website but not available in shipping. One would think they might upgrade their website as me nor my client were happy with the end results in getting something I already stock. Rosco also don't sell that style of panel mount any longer as I believe they once did.

Want back my Pin Splitter v.1 someone "borrowed."

What ever the brand of panel mount these chipped or failed ones ones are replaced with will end up hopefully lasting a lot longer. Many suppliers and brands out there for this panel mount female outlet and most likely your boxes will have thick enough steel cover plates to accept any of them. 1909... that's something I didn't know, thanks.

Panel mounts aren't hard to replace and aren't more expensive that regular connectors. Spaces that have panel mounts always seem to need a couple replaced every show. Get a couple dozen, along with a pin splitter, and I think you'll be happy. Also be aware that the screw used to mount them is a #1 Phillips. I've seen too many damaged by #2 Phillips usage.

The old composite and fiber body connectors didn't melt, they just charred. For some reason I prefer that. I also prefer pigtails instead of panel mounts, as I think it often saves on the need to stock lots of jumper length cables.

This is a bit like saying, "The tires on my car are losing their tread and appear to be going bald. I'm in a position to replace the tires, but it seems like replacing them will just result in me needing to replace them again in the future." :) Things wear out over time and need to be replaced. NOTHING lasts forever, especially parts that have a lot of interaction (by something being plugged into it all the time) and receive a lot of wear. I agree with the other posters. Buy new ones and you'll be happy for a period of time, at which time they will have run their course and you'll need to swap out the worn/broken ones again.

*cues up the Elton John's song from The Lion King* "It's the circle of Life..."

Replacing tires with /tracks/ will make them last a lot longer... if you drive over sharp rocks a lot. ;-)

Light's point, I think, was "replacing them /with the same thing/ will make them need replacement again soon, as opposed to replacing them with something better."

Sent from my SPH-L720

Replacing tires with /tracks/ will make them last a lot longer... if you drive over sharp rocks a lot. ;-)

Light's point, I think, was "replacing them /with the same thing/ will make them need replacement again soon, as opposed to replacing them with something better."

Sent from my SPH-L720

And thus I would argue that the current female panel mounts on the market ARE better than the older composite body versions.

Sent from my SPH-L720
That's a terrible comparison. You could buy 20+ sets of tires for what one set of tracks cost for the same vehicle. Tank tracks also wear out pretty fast, 1500-3000 miles fast.

Now that I've had a chance to re-read his post, what he said was "It seems like *just* replacing them"... [emphasis mine] IE: not replacing them with something better, in whatever way they could be better than direct replacements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back