Starting a Theatre

When she said "I was told that the "other major things for lights" are in the building budget. I still have to find them, but they are not included in that budget", I would figure that it means that the dimmers are in the building budget. At least I would hope.

What about that Artemis? That's a huge difference to the budget. If you have $7000 for instruments and accessories you are in great shape.

Is this the same place with the Strand 300 that you posted in another thread?

Last edited:
No, I work in two theatres. This is a new, community theatre. The other one is a school theatre. But I just found out that the new theatre is just cutting lights for the first show. They are not doing anything. I'm not sure how that is going to work, but I got a call today, saying that they are holding off lights until their next show, when they have a larger budget.

No, I work in two theatres. This is a new, community theatre. The other one is a school theatre. But I just found out that the new theatre is just cutting lights for the first show. They are not doing anything. I'm not sure how that is going to work, but I got a call today, saying that they are holding off lights until their next show, when they have a larger budget.

... is each audience going to hold a flashlight? :rolleyes:

Hopefully this first show, for a new company, goes well.

Wow... Well that's different.

It's free candle night!

Rosco makes several types of flouro tube gels. Most are CTO for film stuff. Now days most Grips, or electric riggers will just get the order to replace on site tubes with the new "full spectrum" type.

A little off topic, but I ordered 24 green gel tubes from Apollo to put over the fluorescent lights on a fast food restaurant roof beam lights for the Shrek promotion that they just did (HappyMeal Toys, Glasses, etc...). It was pretty cool, actually. (you know those bar things that run down the roof and are lit at night, some use a Par38 lamp at the top with mirrors to reflect the light and the others use 4' tubes).

As someone has said before, you may want to look into the 6 channel leprecon dimmers. I have one installed in the small blackbox theatre I work in, and it hasn't failed me after 3 years. Although, I have purchased four of the 4 channel dimmers that you would typically see a DJ using.t The leprecon 6 channel cost me close to $700 I believe....and these "Optima" 4 channel dimmers only cost me $98. They are working just as well as the Leprecon one....

It all really depends on the budget on whether or not your capable of buying a rack of dimmers or not...

Just saying, that if and when you have the money, I do love those Leprechon dimmers. I've used them multiple times and they are great, but they do cost a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back