Sticky Ellipsoidal Parts

TimmyP1955

Is there a dry, high temperature lubricant that would be suitable for lubricating sticky barrels and shutters? They are clean. Sometimes they adjust fine, then stick. (Old Altman Shakespeares.)

Dry graphite powder.

I prefer arasol spray on dry graphite or PTFE. Also look for rust in scotch brite like pad drill mounted drum wheel for removing and as per sanding or Scotch brite pad or very fine sanede paper or in general steel wool , than flat black painting, than applying the spray coating.

Dry graphite powder... famous solution and always told works well but have never recognized how or why it does well for why I never used it. Very interested in finding out how / why it will stick (static?) to a surface, and how a blowed on application works. It is a standard and I'm not saying it don't work or other than recommending it, more curious in the science of how / why it works. This is a request in learning how it works in not understanding how it works please.

7D7393B9-D261-4B74-8713-CDF8CA173093.png

Science is weird I agree on that one with ya.

So as theorized.... sprayed on by way of a tube one might insert into a key lock of a car won't apply to a lens train in it's wear or friction points. A home owner grade tube of graphite will put particles on a surface applied to, and perhaps spread a little from the area. Its dry form will mostly fall off or stay in the area applied at best.

1. Am I correct than in a overall of it spay aersol form of applying of PTFE or Graphite to a lens train barrel as per a paint coating would be a better solution? Again asking the question in understanding and not persay asking a question of dry graphite usefulness for the purpose. Important question perhaps.

The spray from reading says most methods of delivery are a fast dissolving alcohol. Maybe it’s reccomended for the dry cause it’s less of a mess.

Sometimes when Im in a bind and need to get something working... I just grab a pencil. Rub-on graphite application.

Yeah I find most of the powder just falls off/out. Find the spray allows for a better application.
@Dionysus "When in a "BIND!" Steve? BAD pun. BAD Steve! BAD Dionysus!! You're making me ashamed to admit your're a countryman! You've almost put me off my lunch. A GOOD point, granted, but a TERRIBLE pun none the less. It's a good thing you're west of me and down wind.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

don't know other than dry was out long before spray in tech history. I just use it aerosol as per paint in completely coating the surface.

Actual graphite in a pencil other than art or drafting would possibly not be a good thing. Good idea but most say #2 pencils are more plastic than graphite or lead I believe.

I've had good results with "Dry Moly Lube," it's an aerosol of Molybdenum Disulfide in a solvent, and can withstand very high temperatures and pressures. Works great on shutters and followspot irises. I probably wouldn't use it on anything exposed like the barrel though. The MoS2 will stain skin and clothing.

The film it leaves is non-conductive, but be sure to let the carrier solvent flash off before powering up the instrument as it is quite flammable.

--Brian

yuck! Moly I use on focus rods of followspots but would dislike by accident touching a lens train and getting that dust covered goo residue even if a thin coat on my fingers. Much less it would be a dust magnet. Sorry by my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back