stock length for tie line

TDN

Just wondering- if you have a stock length for tie line in your space, what is it? Our tie line bucket is a hodgepodge of different lengths, and it can be frustrating to have to dig through a couple of different pieces. I'm looking to set a stock length this year.

To clarify, this is mostly for dressing or securing 12/3 lighting cable. Data cable, mic cable, extension cords all get velcro reusable ties.

Never shorter than two cubits, but sometimes longer. Small pieces get thrown away.

Never shorter than two cubits, but sometimes longer. Small pieces get thrown away.

Agreed.

I typically put the spool on a rod, so it can spin freely, then do the dreaded "cable wrap," from my hand to around my elbow and back. Then, I cut all the lines only at the hand so that I get a bunch of lines at about 2 cubits [never thought about referring to it like that].

Long tie lines rarely get cut, but can. Short tie lines rarely get used and are a waste.

My opinion,

David

I was always taught the length is the tip of your nose to your finger tips with your arm stretched out. All others shorter than that are discarded.

I agree 100% - 2 Cubits! Like David, never thought of it that way, but from now on.....! For the biblically challenged technician, that's roughly 36" or 3' or 1m.

Well, my name is Noah, so naturally I think in cubits.

Its something of an old CB meme actually, back when we had nothing better to do than argue Imperial vs Metric.

At my theatres we standardized on ~30". A good quideline I've found is as you are cutting strips, it is roughly be the length from your fingertips to your elbow and back again. (maybe 30" on average?) Anything less can be useless, anything too much longer gets unweildy and gangly.

Two Cubits!

Yes back four or five years ago we had an off topic argument about using metric or imperial. In the end there was a call for "peace through cubits". Not only was it a fun off topic joke, but it turns out that for measuring tie line, it's the perfect amount! Put the end of the line in your fingers, wrap around your elbow and back to your fingers, then cut.

Measure your theater the way God intended! Use Cubits!

For the record, all the curtain manufacturers, Rose Brand, Syracuse, Stage Dec, Sew What, et. al. provide a standard 36" tie line with soft goods and I find the same length very useful for most everything else as well.

Last edited:
this should be a poll! I like 3' or an arms length. At least enough to make a double loop around the pipe and cable, plus a bow tie knot without struggling to tie it.

this should be a poll! I like 3' or an arms length. At least enough to make a double loop around the pipe and cable, plus a bow tie knot without struggling to tie it.

Agreed. That's exactly how I do it and funny enough, 3' is roughly 2 cubits! Making a double loop around the pipe does help hold the cable in place giving you ample time to tie a tight bow knot. If you make only one loop around the pipe, the cable never gets tied to the pipe. Try it and you'll see.

Now, here's the other part of the poll.....waxed or unwaxed. I can never get waxed to stay tight and prefer unwaxed, which for me knots firmly every time. [kicking the hornet's nest]

David

I also agree, 2 Cubits and I always try and tie a clove hitch and only un-waxed please...

Long live the cubit and may waxed tie line be banished from the kingdom! :evil:(kicking the hornets nest father down the road)

Sean...

I also agree, 2 Cubits and I always try and tie a clove hitch and only un-waxed please...

Long live the cubit and may waxed tie line be banished from the kingdom! :evil:(kicking the hornets nest father down the road)

Sean...

Round tie line or flat twill tape? (I find the flat twill tape grips and knots more securely)
If twill tape, 3/4" or 1", black and only cotton, never polyester.
I was always a fan of clove hitches but too many folks beat on me during take-outs.

Kicking the hornets' nest across southern Ontario!

Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Un waxed. Kill, maim and otherwise make uncomfortable the lives of those who thought it was a good idea to invent waxed line. Twill tape does indeed tie nice tight knots but with my stubby fingers, they're a royal PITA to untie.

Sean...

I reserve clove hitched for vertical pipes only. They tend to annoy me on load outs.

Waxed tie line is the Devil.

I've noticed some places that have paracord in their tie line bucket, the stuff is just too stretchy.

Tie line is such a theatre thing though, in corporate its e-tape and zap straps all the way!

Short pieces of tie line that DO find their way into use often wind up tied in a square knot. When that occurs, I never waste time untying them, I cut them off at the side opposite the knot to ensure they find their way into a landfill.

Un waxed. Kill, maim and otherwise make uncomfortable the lives of those who thought it was a good idea to invent waxed line. Twill tape does indeed tie nice tight knots but with my stubby fingers, they're a royal PITA to untie.

Hello Michael;

Twill tape; twice around, cinched tight and a bow for ease of striking with stubby fingers and short nails.

Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

3', unwaxed. Any shorter isn't enough to tie around multiple pieces of multicable on a pipe.

Clove hitches in almost all instances.

--Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back