Design Straddle Scissors Lift HELP

decoss

My theater is a 400 seat, converted (we've been converting for 10 years and have another ten years to go!) movie theater that is about to undergo another modification. This on is going to impact our ability to store the scaffolding that we use to adjust fixtures on the house pipes. They are about 20' off the ground, above a gently sloping floor that has rows of movie theater seats.

Currently, our scaffold moves between the seats nicely, but in the next modification we will be losing our storeage space for the scaffold. We will need to dismantle it between usesand it is not uncommon for the scaffold to be needed several times per week.. We would like to replace the scaffold with a lift of some sort that can straddle our seats and also store in a compact space. (I would even consider a scaffold system that one fit volunteer can handle alone.)

Any ideas?

FYI, It's not a one-person job using a vertical mast lift with a straddle. When we change houselights, we use 4-5 people. Might be able to get away with as few as 3, but certainly no fewer.

Also, I'm not sure how much room your scaffolding takes up, but I'd be surprised if you could find a lift and a straddle that wouldn't take up roughly the same amount of space as the scaffolding.

If your front of house pipe is one straight line across the house, see if you can convince "them" to pour a level 4' wide concrete pad across the length of the position. You'd also need to have easily removable seats here, or make it into an aisle. Then you can use any type of lift, you can play up the safety reason when considering cost.

On the lower price end, figure out easily removable seating and build a counter-rack to use with a single-man lift or ladder system.
And no matter what, aerial work should ALWAYS be at least two people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back