Control/Dimming Strand 520i help

xander

Hello Strand experts,
I just swapped desks with the shop, again. When I go to do channel check today I experienced a problem. This must be a setting or something somewhere, but I cannot find it for the life of me. The problem is with the next and last functions. Normally when a channel is selected, say at 50%, and you hit [Next] it takes the current channel down to 0 and brings the next channel up to 50%. Your basic channel check... Well with this new desk, that doesn't happen. If you have Ch 1 at 50% and hit [Next] it leaves Ch 1 at 50%, selects Ch 2, but doesn't bring it to 50%, it just stays at 0. This is essentially useless... Can anyone help me, please?

Thanks,
-Tim

Sounds odd, and it seems like one of those things that I would have to actually see to troubleshooot. I would just make sure that all your settings in the setup screens are correct (or the way that you want them). Sometimes being in different operating modes (like Genius vs. Lightpalette) can make things behave differently while the screens look the same.

However, there are times that I know that hitting next/last won't do anything based on what you have done in between bringing the channel up and hitting next. Interesting question for you: Does it work if you are at FL?

What happens when you hit "Ch # on"? I want to say there is a mode that next/last use the "on" level in the background, and the "on" button is user configurable.

icewolf08 hit the nail on the head.

The 'Select, but don't change value' is standard Genius Pro operating mode for [Next] or [Prev].
You want to be in Light Palette Mode...

To change this, go to the User Setup screen, the lower left of the four boxes is 'Console'
The very last option in 'Console' is 'GeniusPro/Lightpalette' change that to 'Light Palette' and you're away to the races!

Last edited:
I would just make sure that all your settings in the setup screens are correct (or the way that you want them). Sometimes being in different operating modes (like Genius vs. Lightpalette) can make things behave differently while the screens look the same

I have double and triple checked the setups to make sure they are right, and they are as far as I can tell. Plus, I loaded the setup off disk along with the show, so everything should be exactly the same as it always has been.

However, there are times that I know that hitting next/last won't do anything based on what you have done in between bringing the channel up and hitting next. Interesting question for you: Does it work if you are at FL?

I don't hit anything in between during channel check. I literally type [1] [@] [5] [ENTER] [NEXT] [NEXT] [NEXT] etc etc. It does not make any different if I use FULL...

What happens when you hit "Ch # on"? I want to say there is a mode that next/last use the "on" level in the background, and the "on" button is user configurable.

ON is set to 0 (just because the programmer liked it better than the softkey) so typing "Ch # ON" sets it to 0. I have never heard of next/last using the ON level, but I tried it and changing the ON level to something other than 0 does not change the effect of next/last.

Any more ideas?:neutral:
-Tim

icewolf08 hit the nail on the head.

The 'Select, but don't change value' is standard Genius Pro operating mode for [Next] or [Prev].
You want to be in Light Palette Mode...

To change this, go to the User Setup screen, the lower left of the four boxes is 'Console'
The very last option in 'Console' is 'GeniusPro/Lightpalette' change that to 'Light Palette' and you're away to the races!

Ok, THANK YOU. That solved the problem, but only brings up another one. Why, when I load Setup from a show, it does not actually load the Setup?!?! I couldn't remember if it should be GeniusPro or LightPalette, so I didn't mess with it. I figured loading User Setup from the show file would load that, considering it is under user setup!

Last edited:
Ok, THANK YOU. That solved the problem, but only brings up another one. Why, when I load Setup from a show, it does not actually load the Setup?!?! I couldn't remember if it should be GeniusPro or LightPalette, so I didn't mess with it. I figured loading User Setup from the show file would load that, considering it is under user setup!

Your guess is as good as mine... I've never attempted loading a show set to one 'Console Variety' onto a console set to another... If I still had access to a 300/500 series, I'd probably try it...

This is all from memory, however, as I'm a Strand Light Palette VL user now... I wonder if rschwimmer can tune in with an idea?

Glad I could help though :D

Last edited:
Im using a 520i now and wanted to know if groups and effects, etc are global or local to the file. I want to add some additional groups and effects/get rid of old ones but I dont want to effect any of the other shows that are already programmed. If I change groups within the same directory, but different files are they affected?

ALSO, i tried to trigger an effect within a cue and it didnt work. I went to pre-view and scrolled over to put F - FX# and even though it tells me that the effect is being triggered nothing happens. anyone got any clues?

Im using a 520i now and wanted to know if groups and effects, etc are global or local to the file. I want to add some additional groups and effects/get rid of old ones but I dont want to effect any of the other shows that are already programmed. If I change groups within the same directory, but different files are they affected?

ALSO, i tried to trigger an effect within a cue and it didnt work. I went to pre-view and scrolled over to put F - FX# and even though it tells me that the effect is being triggered nothing happens. anyone got any clues?

Effects are stored in individual show files, so if you edit effects it won't change them in other shows.

The easiest way to add an effect to a cue is in LIVE hit: [CUE] xx [FX] xx [*]. To stop an effect in another cue: [CUE] xx [FX][-] xx [*]. It should be noted that the effect will fade in or out in the time of the cue that triggers it to start or stop. If you want it to snap on and have other things fading you can just start/stop the effect in a separate part with a time of 0.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?o4gl3o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back