Conventional Fixtures Strand lens tubes

Re: Strand LEKO barrel lenghts

...What my tape measure tells me is that I have barrels that are 11.25", 10.25", 8.75", 7.75" and 6.25". They don't seem to have been altered so I am at a loss to understand the differences. Particularly confusing are the ones with the 6.25" barrels because they are too short to permit the lens tube to adjust flush.

Can anyone explain what this is about?
I don't know what to tell you. As hatstrand/lekobird (a Strand/Century expert if there ever was one) said above, there were only three sleeve lengths for the 6" versions. Where are you measuring from?
SC2212_sleeve_length.jpg
From shutters to front of sleeve is just a hair over 6", for a 2212. I have no problem sliding the lens tube all the way in; fully extended it's 3 7/8" from edge of sleeve to edge of lens tube, not including the colorframe runners.

I don't know what to tell you. As hatstrand/lekobird (a Strand/Century expert if there ever was one) said above, there were only three sleeve lengths for the 6" versions. Where are you measuring from?
8364-strand-lens-tubes-sc2212_sleeve_length.jpg

From shutters to front of sleeve is just a hair over 6", for a 2212. I have no problem sliding the lens tube all the way in; fully extended it's 3 7/8" from edge of sleeve to edge of lens tube, not including the colorframe runners.

I measured the length of the entire sleeve (including the tabs and it looks like the one you have shown. It measures 6.25" total. When it attaches to the body the inside space is 5.25". I have a lens tube marked clearly 6x9 (part #3-359505-010) and it measures just under 6" from the back of the lip. So it stops 3/4" before it hits the stop inside the sleeve. All of the lens tubes I have are the same height.

I am deaf so don't use a cell phone and so getting pictures is difficult. But maybe the best next step would be for me to arrange for someone here with a camera to take some pictures of what I have...

Here are the pictures I took. We used a really cheap camera but it shows what I have here

lens housings.JPG

This is the part the Strand Guide calls the Lens Housing and I have been calling the lens tube. These are clearly labelled as 6x9, 6x12, and 6x 16. The one on the far left is marked 6x9 but has a white label. Other than that they are all the same part..

lens sleeves.JPG 6 sleeve.JPG

This shows the confusion over the sleeves. The one on the far left is 6.25" the one on the right is 11". From what I am getting from the previous posts, that the one on the left with the 6.25" sleeve is the 6x9/6x12 instrument. That conclusion is born out by the pictures in the Strand data sheet that was linked. The only difference is the lenses.

However, a problem arises because although the data sheet clearly shows the lens housing on the 6x9 flush against the sleeve, when I install the housing in the short barrel, it doesn't slide all the way in.

assembled.JPG

Because I have lots of 6x12s and a limited need for 6x16, the plan is to refurbish what I can as 6x9s and keep the rest for parts. I have found a shop that will cut the longer barrels for me for free and 6x9 lenses I can get fairly easily. I just don't want to be cutting something I can't replace and find out later I cut it too short.

Attachments

• IMG_2528.JPG
    IMG_2528.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 288
I found a 6x9 on Kiji that turned out to be a 4.5x6.5... but know now that the iris was an option for the 6x12.
STRAND LEKO.jpg

Ah, that's a nice extra. It was probably offered as an option (similar to how one can order a 360Q with a factory installed iris). Surprisingly, the 360Q (and I would imagine, the Strand fixtures discussed here) work very well with an iris; just be sure that when you iris down to push those shutters in until they interfere with the beam, and then back out a bit. That really helps save the iris so that the [cheap] shutters can take the majority of the heat from the beam.

... but know now that the iris was an option for the 6x12.
A factory-installed iris was an option for all units in this line. Just add +1 to the model number; e.g., a 2213 was a 2212 with iris. There was no "drop-in iris" or "accessory slot" in those days.

If you look closely at the right side of the outer sleeve near the shutters, you'll see a 1/8" x ~6" knock out where the iris handle would go if so equipped, on all units (all 6" units at least).

Last edited:
the 4.5 had a reduction cone inside the tube... i still have some of the whole ones sitting in my garage somewhere. it was a handy leko, as they were a spin-off of the original 'die-cast" 45 degree lamp housing group... when we changed over to the axial mount lamps, the corporate decision was to rework the die's for the back end burner assembly but retain the same lens barrels and lens tube assy. We even made a handy retrofit kit to convert the die-cast lekos into axial lekos. Levassier and Cunningham, very clever fellows.... eventually went off and created the Source 4. Small industry, and lots of Strand Alumni out there.

I have six of the 6X9 lens tubes for these fixtures in my inventory, and some 6X9 lenses. The silicone gasket can be replaced by a piece of rubber gasket sheet used to make engine gaskets

Strand Axial Leko #2216/17 Iris Options?

Hoping someone here might be able to help. I recently purchased a used Strand Axial Leko (either the 2216 or 2217) and could use a drop-in iris for it. Has an open slot at the top for one (or a gobo) but unsure which of the few drop in iris options out there might fit it. The few I see out there seem to be for specific models like Strand SL, Source 4, or Selcon Pacific. Might any of these also work in my older Leko?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

-Glen

Attachments

• Lecko Light.jpg
    Lecko Light.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 506
Re: Strand Axial Leko #2216/17 Iris Options?

... and could use a drop-in iris for it. Has an open slot at the top for one (or a gobo) but unsure which of the few drop in iris options out there might fit it. ...
Sadly, none will fit. See post#27 above. None of the drop-in irises are thin enough to fit in the pattern slot of this unit. It was only available with iris as a factory option. As an alternative, I suggest several different diameters of an aperture reducer.

Thanks for the re-visit PM Derik but I already I think in PM offered to measure one of mine that is fairly certain to be accurate than given the Altman distances do a A+B/a+? math thing with the lens trains in known lenses and distances. By the way, been following the post when I visit and great reply so far - I have learned a lot and am also curious overall. Nice to have a member ask a question and further respond. Not sure how I can help further with the issue unless he wants to sent all the gear to me and I'll figure it out. Very cool topic though and tell me how I can help beyond what's above.

Last edited:

"Hoping someone here might be able to help. I recently purchased a used Strand Axial Leko (either the 2216 or 2217) and could use a drop-in iris for it. Has an open slot at the top for one (or a gobo) but unsure which of the few drop in iris options out there might fit it. The few I see out there seem to be for specific models like Strand SL, Source 4, or Selcon Pacific. Might any of these also work in my older Leko?"

Sorry have not tried this option on any fixture in collection, would you like me to drop in a few pattern holders but the nearest to the models I could come to would be a #2209 or 2240 by part number? Otherwise, measure the width and approximate bottom to center measurement and specify this to any thatrical supply shop and make them work for their gobo to the proper size.

Sadly, none will fit. See post#27 above. None of the drop-in irises are thin enough to fit in the pattern slot of this unit. It was only available with iris as a factory option. As an alternative, I suggest several different diameters of an aperture reducer.

I don't have one and don't think I could make one unseen. None of my Strands have one though I do know where to find an Altman 3.5Q5 with an iris. Need to re-acquire that one in trade for a new one in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back