Strand Palette Monitors not working after unplugging

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
This is a report on a problem I had with my Palette VL, how to avoid it and how to fix it if it happens. I moved my palette VL from the booth to the stage to do some work. My console was turned off but apparently my monitors were asleep and not actually turned off. When I plugged back in they didn't work. I had one monitor showing only the second extended desktop view, and couldn't see the main controls. Called 1-800-4-Strand and in a little over 5 minutes tech support returned my call. My console runs Vista underneath it all and there is a glitch in Vista if you don't have the monitors fully powered off before unplugging. In order to fix it you simply unplug the monitors and plug in a monitor via the HDMI jack instead. Boot up, close Palette, go into the settings menu, select screen resolution, advanced tab, plug the other monitors back in, change the settings from Television back to monitor and extended desktop mode. Reboot. It was really easy to fix once I knew about the HDMI jack and where to change the settings. If you are running a palette and want to move it somewhere else, be sure to fully power down the system before unplugging.

A big thumbs up to Strand's tech support today. Strand tech support doesn't get a lot of respect from some people, but I am happy to report I had another great experience and my problem could not have been solved quicker. They were quick to respond, diagnose the problem, and help me fix it. What started out as the old nightmare of "Oh NO! What have I done!", was quickly and easily dealt with.

I am glad to hear that I was able to get you back up and going again. One thing I forgot to mention on the phone call yesterday, was there is a fix that will prevent this from happening again. The fix is a BIOS update to the system. Now this problem only happen on early versions of the Palette Processors running Windows Vista. The problem has been fixed and is in the current palette processors. Send me an email or private message and I will send you the files and steps on how to update the BIOS. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back