Strange 3 Phase Distro

Anyone know why this only has 4 cam loks going in? It seems to be missing the blue phase...?

Attachments

• 078EFA08-E68F-49C2-B239-681177E85BEC.jpeg
    078EFA08-E68F-49C2-B239-681177E85BEC.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 492
BEcause it is a "single phase" distro and not three phase.
It uses power found in most homes, and small venues (usually re-purposed from something else)
Typically it will be 240v leg to leg, and not 208v

Decades ago, I worked for a small club band that did lots of frat parties, weddings, bachlor parties, etc... single phase distros were the correct tool for almost every gig we did.

BEcause it is a "single phase" distro and not three phase.
It uses power found in most homes, and small venues (usually re-purposed from something else)
Typically it will be 240v leg to leg, and not 208v

Decades ago, I worked for a small club band that did lots of frat parties, weddings, bachlor parties, etc... single phase distros were the correct tool for almost every gig we did.

Oh! Ok, that makes more sense. So I’m guessing the black/red is 2 hots? And the white is neutral and green is ground of course

Looks a tad scary. I hope everything is solid on both ends of those cams.

Could easily do a "Ten things wrong with this picture"-type game. I can't recall ever seeing white NOT next to green. Unless a distro is built by a UL1640 assembler, which this certainly was not, not permissible per NEC.
If it is assembled by 2 UL820 assemblers, is it permitted.

Early 80's club band build:
1) re-purposed slabs of 3/4 inch plywood, obviously from some other knocked apart case.
2) piece of semi-finished wood from some piece of old furniture drilled out and fit with cams
3) old re-purposed circuit breaker box.
4) what looks like 8/3 romex feeding box, othe end probably on the 400 amp cams.
5) non-swivel "roadies nightmare" wheels, again off of something else.
6) *** Extra credit for "home depot" style 16/3 extension plugged into it!
Yea, saw many of these in the 80's club band circuit... Although the cams are a step up from the twecos.

I see the Romex and raise you an un-bushed hole thru apparently plywood in a non-routered roun over hole in sides of the hole for mains power in? In general, isn’t there something in the early part of the code about professional workman like manner for stuff created?

How do you open the breaker door sufficiently with Cam’s plugged in? Commercial grade Edison plugs in use? SJ cable would depend on local situation, quad boxes mounted to lumber inside some sort of box could be okay but not treated for spark? Recessed CamLoc’s mounted to the lumber of the box? What is going on in that cavity? Note these are male CamLoc’s so this panel is being fed by this little in size Romex cable into it. Could be ok if oversized cable for breakered load but would want to inspect inside the panel and wire/amperage the Romex?

I see casters on the panel, so apparently someone just installed it sideways. Romex feeding a portable panel? Doubt I would even open it up to find properly done minimum standards already failed.

At least there is no puddle on the floor or Darwin awards (that still exist?) So what’s going on inside the box and how safely was it done given clear questionable practices? I know early in my career I refused to do a few power hookups by way of only a beginning of experience. Apparently those doing this install had no such concerns. Ignorence is not bliss and I think at least this websites founding concept. Thanks for the photo.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back