Conventional Fixtures Striplight Sockets (front mount)

Les

So, I'm about to start the long project of updating/refurbishing about 25' of A-lamp strips. The only problem is that I don't know where to get replacement sockets. I know I'll need a bunch. Now, I could go through Altman, but I know they don't make them, and rather buy from a supplier, and I would like to do the same and avoid paying for their marked up price.
I've done a little searching online, but I'd like to see if anyone has any links or favorite (trusted) suppliers that I could look into instead of just cruising 'till I find something that may work and end up ordering something that isn't what I expected or needed. In my searching, I did find this:

LEV9885 Item Detail - VossLighting.com

Unfortunately there isn't much information on this page about the base itself, but I created an account in hopes of getting access to a page that will actually give me some technical info, like the spacing of the mounting holes on the ears. I am under the impression that pretty much all striplights are standard, but I'm not sure if all bases are standard too. I'd also need a picture of the back of this thing to see if it is capable of being wired in parallel.

I do have a bag full of old sockets that were pulled out of a HUB striplight (I also got away with 45 RGB roundels and reflectors - that's another project), but some are chipped and they all have this big puddle of solder over the terminals. Can't even see the screw heads on most. The mounting holes are about 1-3/4" and this is the size that I'd need.

EDIT: Judging my the link "LEV9885" I came to the conclusion that this must be a Leviton socket, and it is. Found it for $2.53 here:

http://www.galesburgelectriclighting.com/store/product.php?productid=3914&js=n

Leviton wanted $5.97 Here:

http://www.levitonproducts.com/catalog/model_9885.htm

What do you all think? From the front it looks about identical to the old HUB sockets I have, with the lip around the screw shell and everything. Here are some pictures of what I have. These will fit the lights I want to replace, but I'd like to buy new sockets if possible.

proxy.php

proxy.php

And yep, looks like asbestos wiring remnants to me too. I will be careful with that bag.

Yet, another edit...

Decided to do some ebay searching and came up with this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Leviton-Porcela...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1205|293:2|294:50

His price is a little high, so I won't buy them from him, but luckily his auction includes more information on this product. Says the tapped mounting holes are 1-13/16" on center. Just remeasured my old sockets in the above photos, and that looks pretty close. Also, he has included photos of the back of the socket, which make it look exactly like what I need to replace. I think I found a winner. What do you think? Striplight worthy?

Last edited:
I'll look at my catalogues on Monday to see who makes such a base. This is a very old and common style of lampholder, more a question of who still makes it. After you have its part number any number of suppliers (including me) can retail it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back