Strong Neeva Glue

TupeloTechie

I recently picked up a couple of Strong Neeva RGBA units for an incredible price on ebay. Unfortunately when they arrived both units had what seems to be a secondary condenser lens completely loose inside the units. When I opened them up, this lens appears to have been only glued in place, as shown in the pictures below. The glue seems to be an epoxy but there is also bits of silicone around the edges of the lens (this may be a previous owner's attempt at repairing this issue in the past.)

I do plan on giving Strong a call in the morning, but I thought someone on here may have dealt with the same problem in the past, or possibly be able to recommend a glue/epoxy/silicone to glue the glass lens to it's metal holding frame.

On a side note, I do have to say that I am not terribly impressed with the fixture build quality. The body appears to be a blatant rip off of an early run source four, only made from a lower quality cast. If you remove the "cap" (made from a thin plastic) you can even see the original lamp hole/screw/alignment pins for a conventional source four cap. Unfortunately, this is where the comparison to a source four stops. It seems in order to save some money on casting, both the shutter assembly and the lens tube are double sided, leaving a non-functioning gobo and accessory slot on the bottom of the unit (and lots of light leak,) along with an extremely fragile color frame holder (broke off in the mail, even though they were packaged well.) The rotating shutter assembly has also been screwed down in four spots, in addition to the two standard screws on the top and bottom. If I take these four screws out I can rotate the shutters, which makes me wonder why they did this.

I haven't had a chance to test out the quality of light and it's dimmer curve, but hopefully they are better than the build quality.
IMG_2897.JPG IMG_2898.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I had some glass gobos fall out of their holders. Just "glued" in like yours may have been.

I was told by the manufacture that:
"You can buy hi RTV glue from a hardware store – I would get the clear if you can, & reglue, keeping as much glue away from the image areas and off the glass, a fine tipped nozzle helps. Let it air cure for 12-24 hours."

Got mine at an auto parts store.

Might help.

Mods, I mistakenly typed the wrong six letter company that starts with an S in the title. It appears that nothing is editable anymore, if possible could you change the thread's title to "Strong Neeva Glue" Thx

For anyone why might also have to deal with this issue in the future, Strong's customer support recommended I use "a high temp silicon adhesive." The original owner also finally got back to me, mentioning that he had been battling with the glued in lenses since a few days after he first purchased them new. I just don't know why they thought it would be a good idea to only use a bit of glue to hold in a rather heavy lens, a simple metal ring and screw would have held the unit intact, while also giving the user the ability to thoroughly clean the lens.

Strong's customer support recommended I use "a high temp silicon adhesive."

In other words, RTV Silicone.

Would be nice if there was an additional mechanical fastener for peace of mind...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back