Sub-woofer decision....

Hey, I am pronounced with a dilemma and I need help choosing a pair of 18" subs to handle a 250 room that is about 20 foot high ceilings, about 45-60 feet wide, and 140 feet long with a small 25X25' cafe on the left side of the room.

I have a 700 watt @ 8ohms pgm 20hz-20khz amp on hand to power the subs.

My trouble is finding a pair to fit in the sub $1,000 range. I will do 15" but I'd prefer 18" if possible. I've already ruled out getting a powered set sadly. I've that 15" subs are really punchy, but 18" would be the better choice because of the lower tones you can reach with them.

I've never used Peavey, Harbinger, or American Audio. I know all those brands are pretty low on the totem poll but I need it to handle a youth ministry worship set which includes rock band style to soft acoustic sets with dejembe or synth from time to time.

Thanks for you help. :)

What tops are you going to use them with?

Remember that subs work best next to one another and NOT one in each corner, so you might look at a dual 18 cabinet. Your amp is 700 per channel or total?
What kind of music, is it live or DJ or ???

Sharyn

The EV TourX 1181 is in the $550 per box range.

Never used one myself, but I've heard they sound good.

Take a good look at the Yamaha Club Series. It's really solid gear at a nice price. If you're looking to keep the pair together, you might want to consider a dual sub cabinet like the Yamaha SW218V. If you'd prefer the single woofer version, check out the SW118V. I've seen the 218 in action and with the right amp, it it is easily enough for a 150x150x20 room with around 200 people and I use the monitor wedges from the same series day in day out. It gives some nice sound for the price point.

I'd shy away from the low end Peavey 118 cab that runs for about 400 bucks, I've heard bad things about them having a weak low end and drivers that couldn't handle much power at all.

Also, if you want another good name brand, take a look at the JBL JRX118. We used a pair of those with EV 215 tops for a christian rock band with a similar setup and they rocked pretty hard.

I'd go with the Yammies, but that's my two cents. Yes, you can get a decent pair of subs for less than 1k.

Here is a very good and detailed tech article
But basically what is created is a bass alley where there is a significant amount of cancellation. Putting the cabinets together also increases the performance

http://www.dynacord.com/downloads/dsp244_info_bass_en.pdf

Back to your original question

IMO for a match with the Mackies you are underpowered, 700 watts bridged is on the low side. You also need to make sure that the AMP will take a 4 ohm load bridged, in a lot of cases this will NOT work.

For the Money My suggestion that I would do is to get your self A Yorkville LS801p These have a built in 1500 watt amp, work well, and you could get away with just one but you are looking at about 1300 dollars

They have a built in roll off filter etc

You could look at the Yorkville Unity UCS1

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=38&id=317
They run about 700 dollars each and would use your amp (but just one with your amp)

PSW Sound Reinforcement Forums: Product Reviews: Sound Reinforcement => Yorkville UCS1

To Do it right you need to get a crossover and put the subs below 100hz and just high pass 100hz and up to the Mackies, this will relieve some of the demands on your Mackies.

The Mackie 18 inch subs are not very good, and the 15's IMO don't have the efficiency you need. IMO the JRX series from JBL the J stands for Junk (Just my opinion)

Remember the performance is less to do with the wattage but the efficiency of the cabinet. The cabinets that have been recommended above (Yamaha etc) tend to be somewhat inefficient and take a lot of power

Yamaha SW-218 V

So if you look at the Yamaha 218v with 96 db at 1m and the yorkville with 102 db at 1m you will see that there is a 6 db difference, this is significant performance, and means that typically it will sound like it is twice as loud and would take 4 times the amp power to achieve the same level

This is all sort of an oversimplification but to make the point another way

If you had the Yamaha you would need a 2800 watt amp to get the same perceived level of sound from the Yorkville UCS1

why I recommend the LS801p

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=2&id=382

is the Max SPL is 134 DB

the USC1P powered version
http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=38&id=363

the Max spl is 131 DB

Anyway hope this helps and is not too confusing

In summary If you cannot spend additional funds to get powered them I would go with one USC1, If you could swing the bucks I would go for a LS801P( it has a built in mono summing setup to combine l and r lows)

I would look at getting a simple two way crossover so that I could keep the highs out of the sub and the lows out of the mackies like an Ashly Xr1001
Sharyn

I will second the Yorkville LS801P. I used one (and only one) in a large church and it certainly did the job. A HUGE step up from the Bose crap they thought would be a good idea to install before I came along.

Sort of on topic, I recently demo'd 4 ISP XMAX415's in my campus' church...
I liked them a lot better than our current passive 18's... EAW i think?
I'm not too sure about the price, but i think they come in close to the LS801p.

I have a pair of Yamaha SW218V's they are nice and move air. I run them with an XTI4000 and they still could take more power IMO. If you are going doing Cristian Rock I would opt for 15's myself. I do rock bands a lot and I would rather the punch of 15's. My one friend has 6 EV 15 and they hit harder and just as deep as my 18's.

I have heard that JBL has for a long time wired their speakers out of phase, this is mil spec so if you go with JBL's and the sound is lacking out of the box try to flipping the phase.

Definitely consider the new QSC line, they are a bit pricier than your original quote, but I've been a JBL fan all my life and these (and their powered mains) are excellent.
I haven't used them long term but I have spoken to others who have had them on the road (touring bands) for over a year w/out problems.
I have used QSC amps without fail for years. My .02

Phil

The problem with these solutions (passive) is that the OP only has a 700 watt program bridged amp. Typically amps (0p did not specify) don't like 4 ohm cabinets. the Mackies SA1521 have a max spl of 133 db
Mackie - sa1521

And of course it is based on 15 inch woofer.

SO IMO you either need a very efficient cabinet that can be passive Like the Yorkie Unity and not need a lot of power, OR IMO a better solution would be the Yorkie ls801p with the larger Sub and the 1500 watt amp

JBL SRX subs need tons of powers
The comparison of a system with 6 15's for subs is way out of the OP price range

IMO the QSC with the 700 watt built in HPR151 is not going to cut it, you would have to move ip to the hpr181 which is the same price as the Yorkie
Ls801p

It would come down to preference, most folks still think the yorkies are louder and push further, but QSC makes a good product

Sharyn

Sharyn

If you can listen to a pair of Harbinger HP118s sub you should. I heard a pair with the QSC K12 tops and it is one of the few powered subs that can keep up with their SPL in my opinion. At 699.99 you could get 2 if you could pull together the extra 400, if not I think you could get away with 1 for now. Maybe you could sell the amp you have to cover the extra cost.

Haven't been on this forum for a long time, so I don't know the general consensus. But, (without trying to start a flame war) Harbinger/Behringer might suit your input/output needs and while I will admit that some of their products do, in fact, work fine and don't sound bad. Please note....
Be advised if you buy products from this company that they regularly practice reverse engineering. They buy other companies products who have invested time and energy in development and develop a way to replace the electronics with many cheap components. (I can post schematics if you're interested).
It may suit your short term needs, but their prices undercut the market and will eventually put quality companies out of business. It is your money, but spend with knowledge.

A google search on this subject will produce significant reading.

Thank you all for the great deal of knowledge.

My Shure friend has told me all the stories of Behringher. But I had no idea that Harbinger did the same thing.

I could look into selling the amp which would help.

I have a DBX 2/3 crossover at the moment. My pretend subs are Mackie SR1530's which is not cutting the mustard obviously.

I will look into some 15" cabs like you guys suggested. I need to attach a photo of the room so you can get a better idea of my dilemma for putting subs on each side. I would prefer to stick two cabs together, but the stage is set in a half circle fashion.

proxy.php

That's an older pic from last summer.

The floor standing speakers lay on the ground now since I get a better sound for some reason. Three stage wedges sit across the front of the stage in a normal show.

Just make sure you walk to the front periodically while mixing, that way nobody front and center gets slammed by the low end. More boxes is about coverage at least as much as SPL, so that's the only drawback with one up front. When I was using the single Yorkville sub it was on far stage left on audience level, but there was at least 12' between it and the audience, giving it room to disperse.

but there was at least 12' between it and the audience, giving it room to disperse.

Yeah, that depends on what songs are played each week. most times people are about 6-8 feet from the stage, so I may stick two cabinets if possible on each side in line with the mains for a more even sound.

I see why you all would want a single in front. It makes the best sense. But I don't think it's doable since the room is multi purpose so I need it to be as clean looking as possible. Now my setup now isn't very clean but it's what I have to deal with right now.

The idea that two subs one on each side gives more even sound is not correct. If you look at the research and the testing with high end tools these days, this creates a bass alley and causes all sorts of issues. You would be better putting the two subs off to one side splitting them is what people think will work, but it really does not

Sharyn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back