Substitute for gel holders?

I'm doing Into the Woods at my high school and we don't have enough source-4 gel holders for all our catwalk lights. Is there any way to make a gel holder substitute out of stuff we have lying around from previous shows or a way to get around having to use them? And no, we can't just buy them. Our budget for this play is basically nonexistent as a result of having made no money off fundraisers or our previous play this year.

I'm doing Into the Woods at my high school and we don't have enough source-4 gel holders for all our catwalk lights. Is there any way to make a gel holder substitute out of stuff we have lying around from previous shows or a way to get around having to use them? And no, we can't just buy them. Our budget for this play is basically nonexistent as a result of having made no money off fundraisers or our previous play this year.

Gaff tape.

We've cut up manilla folders for extra gel frames in the past. Just trace a frame you have on it and make sure you match the folds. Then just tape it closed when you put the gel in. If you're using Source 4s, it shouldn't be a heat issue due to the way the Source 4 manages heat (it sends it out the back). The only caveat would be if you have a lot of lights in one place. Try to keep the improvised ones on specials, or booms, or some place where the lights aren't in super close proximity to others.

Hope that helps!
--Razor

Just do what we do in the film industry take a large gel sheet and use some C47s and clip it right over the fixture.

Unless all your gel sheets are already cut to the size of the frame.

What brand of color media are you using? The reason for the question is that I've used 6.25x6.25" cuts of LEE Filters with no frame at all, but Roscolux is too thin and flimsy (most colors anyway, although some are thicker than others).

For a makeshift gelframe, I'd consider using Blacktak (or aluminum muffler tape from the auto supply store). Fold the 2" tape length-wise around all four edges.

BTW, one vendor's pricing:
6.25 Inch Color Frames for $4.90/each
Safety Color Frame, 6-1/4", 5" Opening, Black, for Source Four for $1.88/each

City Theatrical 3600 Blacktak, Light Masking Foil Tape, 2" x 75' $29.50/roll

The manila folder idea is really good, though. Thing is, all our s4s are in the catwalk, which is always 80-90 degrees. But I'll remember this. Thanks a lot.

Manila folders will still work at that temp.

Derek, If they don't even have gaff tape, buying more frames, while relatively cheap, is probably not an option. At least, not one I'd pick. Gaff has so many other uses, it's a much better "bang for your buck". (IMO)

Quarter inch hardware mesh folded in two. (if you have a roll laying around.) Case of frames was left behind when we were on the road. Made 20 of them in about an hour. Worked fine.

Last ditch effort would be to take cut sheets of gel and reinforce the edges with masking tape. (Real last ditch.)

I've used cardboard gel frames during summer stock runs. Small crowded spaces, with fixtures right next to each other. If you're using manilla folders, you might spray paint them black, or something similar, so they aren't so visible. For catwalk lights, as long as you don't have an air handling system that moves a lot of air, you CAN usually get away without a frame, just make sure you keep an eye out during dimmer checks, to make sure nothing has fluttered out of place.

............................... all our s4s are in the catwalk, which is always 80-90 degrees. ................

You won't have any trouble. Remember the famous Sci-Fi novel by Ray Bradbury, "Fahrenheit 451" so named because the books that were being burned, ignited at that temperature. I'm not sure the exact temp that will ignite a manilla folder, but it is probably very similar. If your catwalk is that hot, you have more issues than too few gel frames. :)

Manilla folders, stiff cardboard, poster board or similar will work just fine. I would suggest a couple hits with a desk stapler or brads rather than duct tape as the heat does tend to cook the adheasive and make a sticky mess that is hard to get off the instrument if it drips there.

Manila folders will still work at that temp.

Derek, If they don't even have gaff tape, buying more frames, while relatively cheap, is probably not an option. At least, not one I'd pick. Gaff has so many other uses, it's a much better "bang for your buck". (IMO)

Nope...not in the slightest. More bang for your buck= last longer and can be used multiple times. Once the gaff is used its gone for one roll of gafftape you get 3 holders you'll have for a lifetime.

I spent the first 3 shows of my current job making due with gafftape and no holders..it was a waste of **** money.

Coat hanger wire opened out, then bent into a springy omega shape so it fits against the bottom and two side colourframe runners and the finger grips at the top. Because it is sort of circular it holds the thin gels across the corners.

Works until you can get the correct size gel frame.

If you have top hats you can just slip the gel in behind those. You could probably fashion something out of black-wrap if you have some...or heavy aluminum foil I suppose, but you'd probably want to hit it with some black paint so it isn't as reflective.

I've used cardboard gel frames during summer stock runs. Small crowded spaces, with fixtures right next to each other. If you're using manilla folders, you might spray paint them black, or something similar, so they aren't so visible. For catwalk lights, as long as you don't have an air handling system that moves a lot of air, you CAN usually get away without a frame, just make sure you keep an eye out during dimmer checks, to make sure nothing has fluttered out of place.

I use high temp paint it is only a couple of bucks for a small can

I use Apollo gels. If the folders still work at 80-90 degrees, I'm fine with that. Thanks. This was a really big help.

You won't have any trouble. Remember the famous Sci-Fi novel by Ray Bradbury, "Fahrenheit 451" so named because the books that were being burned, ignited at that temperature

Actually, it was because the main character was in Unit 451 of the fire brigade.

Actually, it was because the main character was in Unit 451 of the fire brigade.

Actually the Unit 451 was used as a bit of irony towards what they were doing and as reference to the fact that paper burns at that temperature as Michael has already mentioned.

I vaguely remember reading that books actually burn at a much higher temperature and that Bradbury just sort of made the number up, but I've been wrong before.

Back on topic, I've always just made a frame out of tin/aluminum foil. Fold it over a frame, use scissors or a knife to cut the hole out, and voila.

I vaguely remember reading that books actually burn at a much higher temperature and that Bradbury just sort of made the number up, but I've been wrong before.
=

The number is just kind of a nice way to put it, its better than "Fahrenheit somewhere between 424 and 474". Also, its not the temp that paper burns at but rather its autoignition temperature, so you can theoretically make paper ignite in your oven, if there is enough atmosphere in there.

And to Derek: Oh SNAP! if you didnt say it, I was going to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back