"Suicide Cable"

Can a "suicide cord" be used?

• No way, no how.

Votes: 31 63.3%
  • Yes, but the cable must be immediately destroyed.

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • Sure, but put warning labels on the cord to let people know that it shouldn't be touched.

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Use it, if someone doesn't know what it's for, then they should know better than to touch it.

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Other, please comment.

Votes: 5 10.2%

• Total voters
proxy.php

You don't really need to buy a transfer switch, according NEC. This piece of steel does the same thing as a person with some due diligence and a roll of tape.

That it does
but it does not justify using a widowmaker.

finding persons with due diligence could be the big problem

Last edited:
If you have a generator, get a transfer switch or other interlocked switching system before there is any problem. It's just like PM versus a trouble call; it's easier and cheaper when scheduled in advance and nobody is rushing.

In an emergency, rather than backfeed a house circuit (with all of the risk and liability involved), just run a normal extension cord or two from the generator to the few loads you want to power up. You won't be powering up any large loads anyway, at least with most small generators. As for the furnace, it's easy to temporarily wire up a plug and cap the normal feed so you can run it this way.

There's no safe use for a double male power cord. Even if you think that you will "always" remember to safely sequence the breakers and plugging/unplugging it, people make mistakes during emergencies, and others, having watched you using your cable, may try it themselves in their own house or when you aren't there and miss a critical step. Then someone gets shocked, killed, or a house burns down.

/mike

In an emergency, rather than backfeed a house circuit (with all of the risk and liability involved), just run a normal extension cord or two from the generator to the few loads you want to power up. You won't be powering up any large loads anyway, at least with most small generators. As for the furnace, it's easy to temporarily wire up a plug and cap the normal feed so you can run it this way.

I think we're talking about long term power outages here. As far as load capacity, I would want more than a pair of 15 amp circuits to run a refrigerator, deep freezer, heater, hot water heater, and some lights and phone charger (no land line here, need to stay connected). Granted, I wouldn't be running all of those at once, but enough to need more than just an extension cord or two.

That's why I recommend installing a proper transfer switch when there is no problem. As you said, for most generators, only one of those can be run at a time. Even when backfeeding a single 30A dryer circuit, you are going to have a problem if that 20A/220V water heater is on and one of the motor loads kicks in.

OK, I may change my view in that during the first emergency (when you have just bought or borrowed the generator while all hell is breaking loose), you may have to jury-rig things. I have done similar to run my furnace off the inverter in the car once. But I would redo things in a safer manner as soon as possible. The risks of a suicide cord for my family and for linesmen (yes, pole pigs DO work in reverse) is just too great.
/mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back