Super Bowl The Who performance

I agree that the artist(s) should have cross-generational notoriety, but it's only a disappointment if they can't live up to their former glory. Green Day would be awesome, Nickelback, there are several country artists that have enough crossover into the rock and roll world that could pull it off. And, as much as I hate to say it, there are several American Idol winners and contestants that could pull it off as well. Let's face it - You don't get much more nationwide exposure than Idol (And no I'm not a fan). The Stones were actually pretty good a couple of years ago. I'm not a Springsteen fan, but that was a decent performance as well. I'll give it to The Who as well, they pulled off a successful performance, minus what sounded to me like some guitar issues there at the end.

I just haven't seen a halftime show in the last 5 years that has blown my socks off, and for an event like this, blowing my socks off is what I expect. I want the musical performance at least on the same level as the tech. It's just like the Superbowl commercials, they seem to have been going downhill for a while now.

Most artists don't want to do the half time show, it is extremely risky, and nerve wracking, and the reality is that in the stadium the sound is pretty lousy. With a 10 minute roll in the final setup the reality is that the "show" becomes more important that the music. You have the ability to set up a lot of the lights/lasers in advance.

Most artists at the top of their game still ego wise want their MUSIC and themselves to be the center of attraction, rather then in reality being a backing track for a light show. So you get top artists for a while ago who for them it is more promotional and another "deal" to put in their memoirs.

Sharyn

At the risk of repeating what all was said...
The stage was absolutely amazing. It was really the best thing to watch during the halftime show. I agree about the Who and the performance - the guys at their age just cannot pull it off (no offense to my elders on this forum), and it sure did seem like a giant (not-so-subtle) ad for the CSI franchise. That said, the show, because of the effects, was amazing.

My guess is this "classic rock" phase for the superbowl, is A) because as someone said, it appeals to the boomers - who I would venture to say make up most of the live crowd, as they are in the corporations and have the $$. and B) the whole Janet Jackson episode scared them into playing it safe.

Who would have thought 30 years ago we would be saying "The Who" is playing it safe?

I agree that the tech was outstanding but I have to disagree with the talent. While they are aging and not as strong as they once were, they were heads above anybody that they have used in a number of years. The Stones were absolutely awful, I couldn't even watch that. I have never liked Springsteen but especially during the halftime. Neither Jackson was worth a hoot, don't remember any others. I will grant you that sound is tough when done on the fly but it should be good enough to make a classic band at least decent.

For me it was VL 3500 wash!

or maybe mac2K wash XB....

They must have had hundreds! How do they find this many ML for one days use? There can't possibly be a rental shop that would have all of these. Does the producing company own this equipment? The quantity of gear is astounding.

They must have had hundreds! How do they find this many ML for one days use? There can't possibly be a rental shop that would have all of these. Does the producing company own this equipment? The quantity of gear is astounding.

I heard it was 128 VL3500 Washes for the lower perimeter...and, more than likely, from PRG...who definitely has that and more.

You must have missed the Grammy's... There were upwards of 400 movers across the back of the stage alone.

I was thinking that the "haze" was just smoke from the pyro. It was 100% humidity here. I don't know what it was like there, but humidity could have something to do with it.

Edit: Watching it again, it was already hazy when the pyro first started.

From Facebook
Congratulations to the creative team and all of the crew on last night’s Bridgestone Super Bowl Halftime show. In case you missed it, here is a link to a video of show. PRG was pleased to supply the lighting package and work with Lighting Designer Al Gurdon; Lighting Directors Rich Gorrod, Bob Barnhart and Dave Grill. ...The Lighting Programmers were Michael “Oz” Owen and Peter Radice. The lighting gear list included a mix of units including VL3500 Wash, Atomic Strobes and ChromaQ Color Blocks among others.

Gurdon worked closely with Production Designer Bruce Rodgers and Screens & Graphics Producer Lee Lodge. The Executive Producer was Ricky Kirshner; Directed by Hamish Hamilton; and Rob Paine was Executive in Charge of Production.

The gaffers were Paul Bell, Jr., Richard Beck, Jr., Brian McKinnon and Gregory Smith and Jose David Serralles was the Electrician. Robb Minnotte was the PRG Project Manager. Matt Geneczko was the PRG Lead Technician and Zach Cromwell was the PRG Technician.
and...
XL Video supplied 3,055 Barco MiStrips for the floor!!!!!!

In the next few days we will be posting more details and photos so be sure to check back at PRG Live

Last edited:
ProSoundWeb has a discussion going that covers details of the lasers used amongst other things. There has also been discussion on the SML.

PRG definitely have the inventory, but it is an impressive feat for them to pull off a rig that size with the one sitting in BC Place at the same time...

Hey all, the main automated lighting fixture was the VL3500 wash fixture mounted to the stadium perimeter, with additional lasers and effects lighting positioned on the field and built into the stage. The count was 128 VL3500 wasn units.

That performance proved that there is nothing else like a VL when designing! Info ont he VL3500 wash is here: VL3500 Wash FX - Vari-Lite - Philips Entertainment and info on the Super Bowl crew for NFL production is here: SuperBowlProductions.com -- Meet The Staff And Crew

When youa re on the VL website looking at the 3500 wash inof, do not forget to click the sign-up for the VL enews so you are always on top of things going on with us all over the world!

Leonard Miller / Regional Sales Manager / Philips Vari-Lite / 2214-284-5140

Users who are viewing this thread

Back