Control/Dimming Tablet for Lighting Design Recommendations?

Dymion25

Hi, I am planning to invest in a tablet that I can use for design purposes and if possible, remote control of the light board. Most places I work in use an ETC Expression board. I was thinking about an iPad, or an Android Tablet... but I have no idea about any kind of tablets... does anyone have any recommendations?

...and if possible, remote control of the light board. Most places I work in use an ETC Expression board. ...
Not possible, see http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/27175-etc-express-remote-control.html . For EOS line, iRFR/aRFR works equally well on iPad/Android devices. Do you use Lightwright? Lightwright Touch is (I think) only available for the iProductshttp://westsidesystems.com/f-pl/f-lwtouch/lwtouch.html. Do you use Vectorworks? Not sure if there's a reader app out yet, but it will assuredly be cross-platform.

How else are you thinking of using the tablet "for design purposes"? See also iPhone/iPodTouch/iPad Apps for Theatre - ControlBooth (many of the same or similar apps are available for Android).

Last edited:
Lightwright on iPad is a big plus. ETC Remotes are on both... along with GrandMA and Chamsys. Big thing is... whats your budget and do you have an Android phone or iPhone?

Not possible, see http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/27175-etc-express-remote-control.html . For EOS line, iRFR/aRFR works equally well on iPad/Android devices. Do you use Lightwright? LW Touch is (I think) only available for the iPad: Lightwright Touch - Coming Soon to an iPad Near You | LiveBlog . Do you use Vectorworks? Not sure if there's a reader app out yet, but it will assuredly be cross-platform.

Lightwright touch is iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch). Vectorworks does not have an app yet. There are ways to control consoles, specifically ETC Eos line and Congo line, GrandMA consoles, and Chamsys consoles. There is no app to interface with Express(ion), and probably never will be. Sorry.

And FWIW, I doubt that Eric Cornwell the creator of Lightwright Touch, will bother attempting to create a Lightwright Touch for Android. Eric has, in previous on-line comments, described the difficulties in creating app's for the many Android OS's as well as myriad platforms. Thus I wouldn't hold your breath.

On the other hand, both Vectorworks and Lightwright export to Adobe, so the documents are perfectly readable on any platform that can use Adobe Reader.

I haven't tried either but there is an "Open Palette" App called "Mick's mRFU" which is supposed to work both on Android Devices and iPad/Pod/Phones. Check out the Strand forums for questions and support.

That said, the big question I have is what do your really expect to do with this tablet? As far as I can tell there is not, nor is there likely to be in the foreseeable future, a Tab app for Vectorworks. Tabs just don't have the horse power required for these devices. If you are planning to buy a device you can use for actual drafting and lighting design work, you need a real lap top.

Note: Most of the manufactures RFU's that have been listed work with android phones/iphones/ipods. I say pick up an iPod touch or a smart phone of either brand and save your money for a lap top that you can really use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back