Mixers/Consoles Tascam dm-24 QuickStart help

Hi everyone. Hopefully someone can help. I am a house tech at a festival for the summer and tasked with creating a quick start guide for dummies on the Tascam dm-24. We do primarily straight theatre and smaller scale musicals (under 15 people). What should I include to make the console useable for people with limited audio experience (as we are on a tech rotation all summer)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Is there any way that the head engineer for the summer can have a few hour training session, in which a gig can be dry run to have everyone get a feel for it? For someone who hasn't been exposed to a digital console before, the stuff can be pretty foreign (particularly on the DM series, which is slightly convoluted in several ways already).

I would also sit down and save a snapshot of the basic setup for each show coming up (patching/routing at the very least), and direct the crew to recall the snapshot.

Simple channel EQing and the basics like that should probably be covered, but beyond that and snapshot recall, it's hard to have a quick start guide to help someone.

A troubleshooting section may be good, depending on how experienced the crew is ("no sound from the mains" -> X Y Z).

I might also try my very best to isolate the shows to one layer (1-16), so as to eliminate further confusion.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Hi everyone. Hopefully someone can help. I am a house tech at a festival for the summer and tasked with creating a quick start guide for dummies on the Tascam dm-24. We do primarily straight theatre and smaller scale musicals (under 15 people). What should I include to make the console useable for people with limited audio experience (as we are on a tech rotation all summer)
Perhaps the first step is identifying what the people asking you to do this they see it being and doing, then possibly reconciling that with what you perceive as being realistic. What are they expecting people using the guide to be able to do, are they trying to address recalling scenes and pushing a few faders for a show that has already been programmed or are they thinking it covers configuring the console and programming a show? With the users envisioned will you realistically be able to address just the specifics of that console or are you possibly going to need to also address digital console concepts in general or even other general audio topics? Basically, is it intended to be 'push this button, move that fader' or are they thinking it is going to let someone with limited skill and knowledge create, program and run a show using that console?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back