Teaching Texts, and special gems.

I have been wondering, what texts people have either used to teach their technical theatre courses or just to expand their own knowledge. I'm especially interested in texts more specific to each of the areas within the field. Have you ever found a gem that you found extremely helpful, or just plain entertaining?

What age level are you looking for? High School, Community College, University? Are you looking to teach separate classes in each of the disciplines or having multiple texts for a general class? I assume that you've already gone through the wiki?

I have been teaching Stagecraft I & II for about 5 years. My classes help build at least two shows. I started used Gillette and then discovered that I was only teaching about 4-6 chapters of a 22 chapter text. This year I switched to Daniel Ionazzi's The Stagecraft Handbook which seems a bit more accessible to my students and is primarily directed at carpentry. This aligns nicely with how I am teaching for for my college. The Backstage Handbook is a great reference for working pros but for students i think it has limited usefulness, as other have noted. The Ionazzi is out of print, but when I e-mailed him, he stated that he was in the process of getting it reprinted ( and updated, I hope). Just a bit more info.
I am interested in hearing how other people teach their Stagecraft classes: hands on only, classroom only, a mix of both? If a mix of both, how is that accomplished? Is there help in the shop for supervision? Do you do projects or show-only building?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Ruinexplorer- The main reason I asking the question is for my own personal growth and development. I am looking to find useful texts to study independently. My personal interest is in lighting. However, I am also working as a "non-teaching" T.D. at a small university (minor only), not many technicians yet but I'd like to be ready to suggest/supply them with texts if they show an interest in any area/s.

Even if you don't plan on using moving lights, Richard Cadena's book on automated lighting is a good resource for the entertainment electrician.

Even if you don't plan on using moving lights, Richard Cadena's book on automated lighting is a good resource for the entertainment electrician.

Honestly, that book isn't even that good if your primary interest is in using moving lights. It is awesome if you want to understand power, control protocols, or moving light construction in more detail, and I mean really awesome. However, IMHO there are other better options for actually learning about moving lights specifically from a user's standpoint. Definitely worth reading though.

I am interested in hearing how other people teach their Stagecraft classes: hands on only, classroom only, a mix of both? If a mix of both, how is that accomplished? Is there help in the shop for supervision? Do you do projects or show-only building?
I do a combination of projects and show building. The projects are designed to tax them to come up with and execute creative solutions based on given knowledge.
i.e one of my favorites is the giant dice practical. We learn about safe tool usage, and a unit on materials and basic wood joinery and then they have to build a 12" die for a fictitious children's play. The die has to roll, be stood on by a 2nd grader and light enough for them to lift. Bonuses for die that are the "truest" and lightest. I can't tell you how many solutions I've seen over the years--its also builds camaraderie (we play craps after we discuss their solutions and test them against the criteria). Second semester students have to design and build the apparatus for checking the die and also the craps board.... no we are not located in Nevada :grin:
There is no other supervision in the shop, something that we are trying to solve but are stymied by the same severe budget woes that you are probably going through.

I haven't taught formally in eons--just the informal way with shop staff and running crews, but I have always returned to Scenery For The Theatre by Burris-Meyer and Cole for examples and solutions, not to mention a wealth of data on construction, beam, and floor loads. Thurston James' Propmakers Molding and Casting Handbook is both informative and fun

Users who are viewing this thread

Back