Tech Specs MR16 FLE Lamp

jonliles

Fight Leukemia
Guys-
Trying to do a quick comparison. Doe sanyone have the tech specs of the MR16's ENX & FLE lamps? Is it worth the extra $ to put the FLE in my Altman Comet?

According to the Altman website, the FLE is the recommended lamp for the Comet but an ENX lamp can be used with reduced light output. Other that that I am not sure what differences exist.

Work Dist. 209.6mm as the primary concept in when the light beam crosses over in projecting. 340w at 36V verses 360w at 32 or even 36v means lots of differences and options.

First that you need to hold to is that bench focus. After that lamp life and budget as weighed against output. Talking the up to 700 hour Osram ENX-7 lamp down to the ERV at 75 lamp hours. A few MR-16 lamps in option. There is a lot of lamps to consider: ERV, FLE, ENX, ENX-5 to the ENX-7 before you even start considering the EPW or perhaps beyond that the FXL line of lamps that would also work. Lamps are a science.. what do you want for optimum output for life in pice can be dialed in. Lots of lamps to choose from.

Some of them in the above working distance might depend on the bench focus ability of the fixture you are using to get back to that working distance of focus thus the working distance when the beam crosses over or is most focused. If not sure or able, follow the above working distance specification, if otherwise, there is lots of lamps on the market to choose from in balancing output with lamp life.

Last edited:
Thanks, Skip.

What I know: staying inside the name plate guidelines of 82V and 360W on the Altman Comet F/S

Looking at an Apples to Apples Comparison, let's assume both lamps are Sylvania, what are the advantages if the ENX vs the FLE. At a throw of ~75 feet, in a F/S that gets ~200 hours use per year (break more lamps by jarring a hot F/S by the kiddies than by hours of op), what would be the better option for a brighter beam (and is it that muc brighter?).

The stage is lamped at 575W (S4 pars & 1K's 30^ and 40^ instruments)

The difference is in the "working distance" (or where the lamp's focal point is).

The FLE has a higher lumen output, but I believe the Working distance (throw) is far less 30.5mm vs. 298.5mm for the ENX family, so that is the tradeoff. This is a result of the reflector design and/or the capsule's location in the reflector.

The FXL (420W vs. 360W of the ENX) is the closest apples to apples upgrade for output. Same working distance. You might want to ask Altman if the socket/wiring can handle the increased heat though.

Direct from the Altman website, in the description of the Comet:

Item: 410W Quartz Follow Spot ..."this easy to use follow spot is designed to use the unique high performance FLE, ENX and FXL quartz halogen lamps."

From personal experience, I have been using the FXl lamp in a Comet for several years without any adverse effects. But FWIW-I can't say the beam is any "brighter" than it was with an ENX lamp. In my application, the beam throw is 100 ft.

-John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back