Techie sayings

I heard one of my fellow techie say this over the clearcom right before the show started:

"By the way, we don't mess up. We just like improv sometimes."

We had some fun things that our Crew used during the last few shows:
+"Your breathing privileges have been revoked." (we had one actor who breathed directly into his mike when singing, since he was the leaad he had the most sensitive mike. Boy that was fun to listen to.)
+"Your speaking privileges have been revoked" (Our SM)
+"I see the screw up fairy has come to visit us again"
+ "Techies do it with tools"
+ "I need nuts!" (my personal mistake to say in front of half the crew when I needed a wire nut and I had the mishap to reply when a friend against what kind?" "Large yellow ones"
+ "Is anyone bleeding, broken or dead" "No." "Then everthings fine"
+ "You just can't fix stupid."
+ "Can we use the vinyl sign cutter?" (Our ASM got a new toy that month)
+ "Close enough for government work." (This was my new sound board operators saying, it got banned)
+"Wonky" (also banned by our SM)

Like the wire nuts up there:

"I need a male!" during a rehearsal...150 cast members looked up at me.

"Let's move some air" (sound crew)

"Who cares if they can't see because of our lights...they're just actors" (focus crew)

"Yes, that was a bad idea. Don't do it again." (me, the T.D.)

Well I am thinking about getting D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F printed on some business sized blank white cards to give to those certain special people!

My other fave is responding with something non-offensive but totally non-related. Like "5 past 7" or "L128" when you get interupted by that one annoying person who keeps asking questions at the least appropriate moment.

Some of my favorites...

"Respect will not be tolerated"

"Safety Last"

To start a show...
"Ok, fire it up!"

"Only 4 more nights until we close." (Count down every night).

Post show every night:
"Good job everyone, that wasn't bad for a dress rehearsal."

The Best quote I have ever heard, was
"*insert TD's name here* I think that dimmer rack is on fire again...."
Also, if you are really bored backstage during a long show, the best thing to do is say in a really panicky voice, "oops!" and then muffle your mic and scream for a fire extinguisher, bound to get everyone else more excited!!:p

Diarmuid said:
The Best quote I have ever heard, was
"*insert TD's name here* I think that dimmer rack is on fire again...."
Also, if you are really bored backstage during a long show, the best thing to do is say in a really panicky voice, "oops!" and then muffle your mic and scream for a fire extinguisher, bound to get everyone else more excited!!:p

Be wary of the boy that cries wolf!

Mayhem said:
Be wary of the boy that cries wolf!
I haven't ever actually tried out any of the above [action=Diarmuid]cough cough*[/action]
But no, on a more serious note, the things i posted above werent actually anything i had any personal experience in doing, but sayings and quotes which i have picked up from other people and the internet, which made me laugh at the time, and so I thought I should share them with everyone else.

A guy who calls himself "Mayhem" reprimands someone else about crying wolf?

Now THAT is funny.

"You know where your home is? [Yes] Ok, go there"
"Who's your god?" Said after blinding the cast with lights at 60%, then waiting a few seconds and kicking it up to full.
"That's what you get for f***in with me."
"So you know how to operate a fire extinguisher, right?" -said to the new guy
I just had this one tonight..."Hey Mike, you know those fire hoses backstage? [Yeah.] Want to have a water fight?"

gafftaper said:
A guy who calls himself "Mayhem" reprimands someone else about crying wolf?
Now THAT is funny.

Hmmm - whatever do you mean?

MHSTech said:
"You know where your home is? [Yes] Ok, go there"
QUOTE]

nice! problem with that is i often get school confused with home based on the amount of time i spend there.

Quotes of the week so far used by me:

"I think I broke my assistant."
- especially tonight. Poor guy, the other assistant or two helping have been around a bit and know when to call it a day/night. This one both as a tool as it were to help me get my work done and as someone to see how well he holds up over the long run, much less out of some intent on his part to be there for me I think I broke tonight in him becoming a blabbering shell of a person that had to be sent home. I broke it! Hmm, hasn't been working less than 67 hour weeks for me in the last month and still thinks he needs to hang in there or is able to keep up with me. Keep reminding him and others to be honest when overtired - we are wiring stuff afterall, much less the other thing ... "and it's not even touring season yet..."

"What ever you do, don't let the geini out of the bottle" this in reference to a big wad of wire shoved into seventeen ligting fixtures or anything to do with these things. "Once the wires are out, you ain't never getting them back in."

Let's see, four ballasts, a 14ga/14 conductor Soco cable, four 650w audience blinders in parallel, for 250w ACL's in series, and eight fluorescents in two color temperatures - eight wires each; plus a mixture of solid and stranded wire plus cap splices galore and extra wire to in theory allow the inner ballast mounting canister to slide out given there is not a knot somewhere. Nope, you don't want to open up this 5"x18" tube of wire rats nest. It went in ok, but once you pull the genie out of the bottle, it don't go back in.

Last edited:
"You call that state of the art? Look what just came out today!!"
-A spin off on my signature...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back