Techie sayings

The best phrase, simple and effective -

"Let's go"

My opinion's if they're good enough for Eisenhower pre D-Day (today's the 61st aniversary BTW), they're good enough for me! :D

Well we have a binder full of "you know your a techie whens..."

But anytime someone screws up and is on comm... "YOUR FIRED" i think ive been fired 20 times for hitting the comm mic while sticking my head out the booth so i can mix well.
another is if you say soemthing stupid or f#!k up, our electerctrican/ assistant sage manager/set design will take out his leatherman, take all the tools out and ask 'Which of these would you like shoved up your every orifice first?"

then we have "Shut your blathering pie hole...."

and oviously "OH SH*T", offen followed by a loud noise over comm.

i was fired over 80 times in the past 2 years, last year it was a very common phrase heard. now come to think about it i think i was only rehired 20 times, why the hell am i still doing this crap??

Urr, let's watch or language here in allowing explnative comment at times chosen for statement over using it to express what you find easy instead to use. Use sware words as you will for the most part when it is a necessary part of your statement, I doubt anyone really has a problem with the use, but perhaps where not necessary you should challenge yourself to speaking on a higher level than back on the block. We aspire to be professional and such dialog while used by professionals at times also is not specifically casually thrown out in a open situation.

All that said, at one job I could expect to be fired about once a day if I was doing my job well in thinking for myself. Where I currently work, nope or perhaps once fired but only and very specifically as a very short time joke as opposed to a running joke. This might depend a lot upon your situation and understanding of commitment with the job. If you live for your job and the place can't function without you and you constantly joke about your own or the show needs than perhaps it's appropriate. Otherwise in other places, such a rating of your value in being fired but only as a joke would be very un-seemly due to the more serious nature of the situation or atmosphere. Should it come time to really fire you, if constantly joked about this could become a problem. Might be in part that difference of ability or at times need to do so.

oh, i thought the script would edit it. sorry. what happened to that script??

I personly don't factor in having script edit my words. (Note below in it working but only to certain words of no redeeming value.) Ever try posting to Philip's Forum? Say the word glass - as might become part of any reasonable post about lamps and it's edited out as a word that's part of a word. That would not be a good thing in expecting a website bad word blocker to cover for your own shortfalls. For me, while I might cuss on line for intent and anyone should feel free when the expression matches one's intent feel free to, still that intent can be over used in having by far better ways to express yourself. For me, it's less a relying upon editing thing than a way of thinking as my only point. Was I offended, you should have heard my words while in the military. Still that's back on the block or in a atmosphere and not what one speakes in public.

General rule of thumb for swaring publically no matter if around friends and nobody else is around or publically. If your priest or Mom would smack you upside the head for expressing such a word, it probably is not one you should be using in general conversation. Much more descriptive words out there anyway. Who in swaring are you impressing given an attempt as speaking just like anyone else? "That Bitch," as a quote for instance, - do you really feel that way? Why state it thus as an example of on the block your friends might use in being cool, but you don't have to in being just as cool.

Sware when needed for extreme value of expression and something for shock value when otherwise unusual for you to express. Otherwise if part of your normal language of extreme statements, it's like "the little boy calling wolf" and you swaring as common becomes less the intent of expression you might wish for. When I sware, it's intended as perhaps a not something I don't do but is unusual for me type of thing will have it's desired use of language shock value. When spoken in general without need, that shock value is of much less value thus only says that you have no class or education.

And now I hope back to your techie sayings topic.

The most common phrases from my youth pastor are probably 'Let's do it big' or 'Let's leave it all on the field' and no others really stand out to me.

I have two personal favorite sayings.

1) "If all the world is a stage and we are merely players, doesn't that make the technicians gods?"

2) "If I have done my job well, no one will know I've done it at all."

The first saying tends to scare actors a little and seems a tad bit narcisitic, but the second one is true of our craft. Its all about the "Willing suspension of disbelief."

I deff. like the second one. The willingness to accept that is, I think, often the distinction between a good and great tech. There are some people that I have worked with that are just all about making it as flashy and adding as many effects to voice channels as posssible and things like that. really, we are helpers, not the show ourselves!

I agree Peter. For the longest time while I was in HS and as an underclassman in College I used to loath actors. And while I still think it is fun to order pizza and eat infront of them on their first dress rehearsal. Without them I am unemployed. Technicains are one of the few groups of people who can survive on the satisfaction of a job well done. If there are techs out there that can't handle that, well... become and actor

Jake

"Maybe you have to know darkness before you can appreciate the light."
- Madeleine L'engle

"Working in the theater has a lot in common with unemployment."
- Arthur Gingold

when im bored i look up quotes.

jyenish said:
I have two personal favorite sayings.

1) "If all the world is a stage and we are merely players, doesn't that make the technicians gods?"

2) "If I have done my job well, no one will know I've done it at all."

The first saying tends to scare actors a little and seems a tad bit narcisitic, but the second one is true of our craft. Its all about the "Willing suspension of disbelief."

Yep - certainly like the second one. Peter - you are so right in stating that it is all about keeping it simple and effective.

"no fires"... we have said that ever since someone forgot to tape up one of the light cords and it was smoking... Obviously its not like good luck or anything, but it kinda means "lets get through this with out too many problems..."

Atleast thats what I get out of it haha!

We sold out tonight, so don't screw it up. If you screw up remember that I know where you live!

I didn't read all 12 pages so I apologize if these have been said before.

"If you F%ck up again tonight, I'm hanging you upside down from the grid by your ba!!$"

"That's art."

and, during a kiddie summercamp show, the ASM said,
"The headset box makes for a great device to hit children with"

***In no way to I condone violence towards children, I just thought it was funny at the time***

Our usual phrase that we start and end most shows with is "No blood, no fire, good show."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back