The long and winding road.

busparking

My official title is Technical Theatre Supervisor at a private MS/HS in Silicon Valley.
I was heavily involved in theatre in HS and college, and graduated with a degree in Communications with an emphasis in Theatre. It was in college where I discovered that lighting for the theatre can be much more than a way to see the actors on the stage.
My senior year of college, I burned out and left the theatre department to be an RA. Out of this experience, I met my lovely wife. After our wedding, we moved to CA where, feeling like I no longer had a legitimate claim to the theatre, I started working data entry and inventory management. Not being fulfilled by this work, I turned to education and made my way back to the theatre.
I started a Masters program at SJSU in hopes of continuing to an MFA or PhD program and eventually teaching college. As I neared the completion of my Masters and started applying to other programs, I discovered that these programs wanted me to be much more narrow in my studies than I cared to be. I wanted to learn and teach everything I could about the theatre, and the universities were forcing me to choose.
It was around this time that I volunteered to direct the middle school play at the school where my wife teaches.
This experience showed me that I could have everything that I was looking for by working with younger students. From there I earned my single subject teaching credential in English, and have been hired as the Technical Theatre Supervisor.
My position includes a high school level technical theatre class, set and lighting (and anything else) design (and build/focus) for the MS and HS shows, and maintenance of the theatre space for school related and outside events.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back