Theatrical Paint vs. Hardware store paint

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
Here's an easier question that has a wide variety of answers.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using Theatrical Paint vs. Hardware Store paint?

Standard QOTD rules apply, if you are a professional please wait 1 week before posting.

As i have been told recently, Theatrical paint covers well, covers a lot, but doesn't last a long time. whereas hardware store paint, can cover well, doesn't cover a whole lot, but lasts a really long time, longer than the existence of most of our sets. Sound right?

depends on what you are doing. if you are painting setts for short term use use what ever is cheapest. yet if you are painting walls,floors, or anything perminant go for the best hardware store paint it will last longer and not look as bad after a long period of time.

depends on what you are doing. if you are painting setts for short term use use what ever is cheapest. yet if you are painting walls,floors, or anything perminant go for the best hardware store paint it will last longer and not look as bad after a long period of time.

I know many a scenic artist who would argue that point and at 30 dollars a gallon scenic paint is never the cheapest. I would estimate that 99% of all sets that come out of professional scene shops that go on tour, installs, and go in rental stocks are painted with scenic paint. With the cost being so high, why do people use it at all?

So, what is the difference between Rosco or Artist's Choice paint vs. Glidden or Behr?

How does the choice of paint affect how the scenic artist paints?

Last edited:
I would estimate that 99% of all sets that come out of professional scene shops that go on tour, installs, and go in rental stocks are painted with scenic paint.
i was talking about for what i am doing, which is highschool no budget theatre. alot of time when i need white,off white or black paint for sets i go to the recycling center where they give away paint that is still of good quality that was sent to them, it's not the greatest color since it's mixed but that gives you an idea of the budget i have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a hint, kids-

If you were to make chocolate chip cookies at home, how would they be different from those at the school cafetorium?
(Besides being edible...)

The theatrical paint would be made by hand and not mass-produced (relative to hardware store paint) like your homemade cookies while the hardware store paint is mass produced with mainly machine processes. Right?

Another hint
If you were to paint a drop at your shop with household latex paint, get it looking very nice. then carefully fold that drop and transport it to the theatre and hang it. what would be the problem?

it wouldn't look right because you probably painted it under florecent light. so under stage lights the color tone would be different. that and the latex would probably crack when you fold it.

I've also been told that there is more color pigment in stage paints compared to Hardware store paints. I guess this would mean its less likely to fade from exposure to UV.

Ahhhh.................

SO- if you were making chocolate chip cookies at home, would you add alot more of them, more than the nice blue-haired lunch ladies do?

(This really is relavant, I just want the light bulb to go on here...)

Ahhhh.................

SO- if you were making chocolate chip cookies at home, would you add alot more of them, more than the nice blue-haired lunch ladies do?

(This really is relavant, I just want the light bulb to go on here...)

heck no, i don't like chocolate chips, but you could easily add some dilution solution such as water to extend how much the paint can cover.

SO, if a gallon of scenic paint weighs the same as a duck then I must be painting a witch?

Serious answers:
Scenic paint may also come with the fire retardants that are required in most real theatrical venues?

If you use Roscoe paint with Roscoe gels, then the colors will match better?

Scenic paint may also come with the fire retardants that are required in most real theatrical venues?

No, best to apply fire retardant before you start painting. following manufactures instructions.

Last edited by a moderator:
i was talking about for what i am doing, which is highschool no budget theatre. alot of time when i need white,off white or black paint for sets i go to the recycling center where they give away paint that is still of good quality that was sent to them, it's not the greatest color since it's mixed but that gives you an idea of the budget i have.

That's exactly what we do at our theatre too. And our director is a bit impulsive when buying paint, so we have tons of it now. but we can always get the color we need!

heck no, i don't like chocolate chips, but you could easily add some dilution solution such as water to extend how much the paint can cover.

This is exactly on track with this topic. My analogy (chocolate chip cookies) was adding more of something to the mix. DuckJordan's approach mentioned thinning the product for coverage reasons. The big question is this- what is it (a one word answer is all we're lookin' for here...) that differentiates the scenic paint from the Home Despot paint?

Is the one word quality?

Also, re:the folding mentioned above, hardware store paint can tend to stick to itself when folded. I suspect that that could be a difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back