Thoughts on the Strand Neo

Zwart

Hi team,

Looking for some feedback on the Philips Strand Neo. Has anyone used it? Does anyone own one?
Are there any common problems or bugs that people struggle with? Have been doing lots of lurking on this site and there is very very little information or posts about it...

Let me know

Nick

I've used one minimally. I found the patching to be a little tricky, and the board seemed a bit gimmicky. Plenty powerful though, and maybe my opinion would change if I logged some real hours one one. I have a friend who used one in her high school - I'll ask her next chance I get.

I haven't used the NEO, but have pretty extensive experience working with the underlying software which is the PC-based LightFactory. I love LightFactory, but in the same breath I always have to add that it can be buggy at times. I've had many conversations with the computer that cannot be reproduced in pleasant company. I would guess that the NEO would be a bit more stable being a console, but one thing about it is that developer support from Martin Searnacke (the programmer who created the software) is outstanding. I've had several emails with him and he is incredibly patient and willing to help.

There's also a good community of users who often influence software changes, in fact that's part of the reason why it can be glitchy I suspect. There's so much depth in what the software can do and so many ways to apply it to various setups that until you find the way that works best for you, it can be a bit of a headache. What keeps me coming back is the tech support both from LF and from the community support.

Overall I like it, but understand for better and worse that it's a bit different than other standard players on the market- at least in terms of software. Since you're in NZ you'd also be in the same timezone as Martin which is helpful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back