Touring Lighting Question!

Hello, happy to find this board.

I am a musician in a band, and on our upcoming tour I want to bring a light show that syncs up to our Tascam DA-88's. My goal is to have the Tape machines (which plays background audio) to be the master clock for a video device and a lighting controller via (MIDI TIME CODE or SMPTE).

I have some prior experience with DMX controllers, and also with SMPTE and MTC using digital audio consoles, pc's, and tape machines. I have never connected all 3 together tho, and I don't even know where to begin with gear.

I know this must be possible and was hoping someone here could point me into the right direction.

I have a really nice Laptop with Windows XP.
I have TASCAM DA-88's and 38's with the addition MTC ad on for synching up digital automated consoles and non linear pc audio software.
I have a bunch of DMX light pack dimmers.
I have Robolights as well as basic 'cans' lights

My question is:

1. what would be the most cost effective light controller that chases time code?
2. Would I be better off with some type of lighting software? that uses an external DMX box that connects to my light dimmers?
3. Should I use my old digital console for it's clock chasing capability to output midi commands to a lighting controller that accepts midi?

I really appreciate any help on this!

I think using a PC based console(that could play the background tracks) to fire a series of linked cues and possibly your video would be your best option.

The PC based dongle software of a "lightjockey" sounds like the best way to go. Lots of versions out there. You will still need to design the looks that it chooses. Unless you are just going for a chasser effect with par cans. Good Luck, rock it out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back