The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Touring Lighting Question!

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by drolsinatas, Dec 21, 2008.

1. drolsinatas

drolsinatas Member

Hello, happy to find this board.

I am a musician in a band, and on our upcoming tour I want to bring a light show that syncs up to our Tascam DA-88's. My goal is to have the Tape machines (which plays background audio) to be the master clock for a video device and a lighting controller via (MIDI TIME CODE or SMPTE).

I have some prior experience with DMX controllers, and also with SMPTE and MTC using digital audio consoles, pc's, and tape machines. I have never connected all 3 together tho, and I don't even know where to begin with gear.

I know this must be possible and was hoping someone here could point me into the right direction.

I have a really nice Laptop with Windows XP.
    I have TASCAM DA-88's and 38's with the addition MTC ad on for synching up digital automated consoles and non linear pc audio software.
    I have a bunch of DMX light pack dimmers.
    I have Robolights as well as basic 'cans' lights

My question is:

1. what would be the most cost effective light controller that chases time code?
    2. Would I be better off with some type of lighting software? that uses an external DMX box that connects to my light dimmers?
    3. Should I use my old digital console for it's clock chasing capability to output midi commands to a lighting controller that accepts midi?

I really appreciate any help on this!

2. Pie4Weebl

Pie4Weebl Well-Known Member Fight Leukemia

I think using a PC based console(that could play the background tracks) to fire a series of linked cues and possibly your video would be your best option.

3. RonaldBeal

RonaldBeal Active Member

We need a few more details.
    What all do you want to control.
    How many universes/ channels of DMX?
    Budget?
    Just dimmers or any movers?

Some ideas on some low cost PC based solutions:
    The Chamsys MagicQ console:
    ChamSys Ltd

Or Jands Vista:
    Jands Vista
    Hope this helps
    RB

4. CavezziMagnum

CavezziMagnum Member

The PC based dongle software of a "lightjockey" sounds like the best way to go. Lots of versions out there. You will still need to design the looks that it chooses. Unless you are just going for a chasser effect with par cans. Good Luck, rock it out!

5. TimMiller

TimMiller Well-Known Member

i'd personally go with the vista, it will run time code, MIDI has not been built into the software yet, even though the console does have MIDI ports.