Training and gear for Stoldal's new theatre

Seems to be somewhat of a competitor (possibly more formalized) to Stagecraft Institute of Las Vegas. Here's a previous thread.

[user]Mstoldal[/user], when you actually have access to the building, I bet [user]ruinexplorer[/user] and I would come over and give you a day's worth of "hints, tips, and tricks." PM us.

Thank you, that was driving me crazy. I only just thought of that one this morning (I guess too many days working in a row had my mind in a fuzz).

The Stagecraft Institute is probably more along the lines of what is needed here. The other program is more along the line of Full Sail in Orlando.

The theatre is scheduled to have two diffent plays in it two weeks after we have access to the building. i know that half the thing are not going to be done in time for those production, and the director has already started print thing with the dates of the play. So hope full we will stay on schedule.

Well I was just barely able to pull off One play 5 months after our theater was "scheduled" to be finished... of course They didn't let us move in until 4 months after it was "scheduled" to be finished. For that first show I had no way to dim house lights so I had to turn them on and off at a breaker because they hadn't finished installing that system yet.

I would strongly urge you to push for a change in plans. 300 lights huh? Do you know how long it's going take you and the bus king to hang 300 lights? The fact that they are used makes it even worse as you'll probably run into all kinds of issues with them. I've been in my new building since January and I've still got lots of unopened boxes to open, sort, and put away.

the drama dept expects that the tech and everything else for a show to work to take a week, because that how long it took for us to set it up in the gym for the other production.

If they don't push the productions back, the plan for hanging all 300, is two days as most. It will be a group of six people. I will have the lighting plot done way before we get in there to hang the lights.

There is 5 electrics, and 4 cats walks. I don't know if we are going to have any side pockets.

BTW here is a link to a 3-d tour of the theatre and other information: http://faithlutheranlv.org/chapel/building.html

ya i love it this is one thing that the designers some how over look was the crosser over.
"The walkthrough doesn't seem to show any aisle lights,"
I was told that the walkthrought is missing many things, i hope.

Thank you, that was driving me crazy. I only just thought of that one this morning (I guess too many days working in a row had my mind in a fuzz).

The Stagecraft Institute is probably more along the lines of what is needed here. The other program is more along the line of Full Sail in Orlando.

I got the green light to take the rigging class at SILV. Before the money is invested, SILV a good place to take a rigging class.

Specs for new theatre

I just got the spec for the new theatre i am helping build. if there is something that you want to know, ask and i will try and find it. I just want to get input for the CB community on the gear.

see attached, in pdf format

Attachments

• gear.pdf
    207.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Re: Specs for new theatre

um, did I miss the hard edge fixtures in there or are Source 4 pars the only kind you get?

we are buying about 300 more source 4 fixtures, the source 4 pars oon the plans are in a permanent location

I may be wrong but I believe the S4 PARS come standard from the factory with a set of four lenses. This looks like they are selling you 36 with one lens and 10 with another lens. That's not right.

Do you have Cable in another package? It's AMAZING how expensive it gets.

Mstoldal from looking at the theatre plan on the school website I have some questions.

Looking at the back wall of the stage, is that the outside wall of the building? And if it is how do you cross from one side to the other without being seen? Or do you have to make a false wall and loose some stage depth?

Also are you controlling lights from the sound position in the middle of the theatre and if so have they left enough room? Also is the sound booth got lockable cabinets?

Are they giving you a Cyc ?

Looking at the Leviton BOM you have put up is someone keeping an eye on the 6 Weeks for the Operation / Maintenance manual deadline so you have the manuals when you need them? Especially since you have to order them as they don't come with the gear.

Reading the BOM it looks like you have 288 20A circuits but do you have to use some of these circuits for the house lights?

Also does that BOM cover gear for the classrooms as well? Judging by the number of entry stations it does?
I have just been looking at info on Luma Edit system that sets up the entry stations for the lights. It looks quite flash. Do all the building lights run off the ie96 dimmer banks?

I am looking forward to seeing the specs for the sound system when you get it.

Who gets to go to Portland for the Hands On Training on 8700?

NOTE: Above 5 posts moved from "Off Topic" and merged into this thread.

Looking at the back wall of the stage, is that the outside wall of the building? And if it is how do you cross from one side to the other without being seen? Or do you have to make a false wall and loose some stage depth?

Yes the back wall is also the outside wall, the forgot about that when they where designing the theatre. i think we are going to make a false wall, but ya loose some stage depth.

Also are you controlling lights from the sound position in the middle of the theatre and if so have they left enough room? Also is the sound booth got lockable cabinets?
et

i think, there will be enough room, the booth is 8' wide, i dont have size of the mixer yet. I dont know that but i think that we can get them if we want them.

Are they giving you a Cyc ?

yes, but there is a problem with it. right now it is on the last batten. but if we add a false wall then i foresee a problem.

Looking at the Leviton BOM you have put up is someone keeping an eye on the 6 Weeks for the Operation / Maintenance manual deadline so you have the manuals when you need them? Especially since you have to order them as they don't come with the gear.

simple answer yes

Reading the BOM it looks like you have 288 20A circuits but do you have to use some of these circuits for the House lights?

Yes and now the main house lights are on a dmx control rely ( there is 48 relies). There is going to be some down lights that are control via the dimmers.

Also does that BOM cover gear for the classrooms as well? Judging by the number of entry stations it does?
I have just been looking at info on Luma Edit system that sets up the entry stations for the lights. It looks quite flash. Do all the building lights run off the ie96 Dimmer banks?

No, the dimmers are just for the theatre, and the entry stations are just for the theatre. One interesting thing that they have done is put a 5 button stations on each cat walk, each electric, and i think that there is one on the loading bridge.

I am looking forward to seeing the specs for the sound system when you get it.

I don't know when i am going to get that but i know that we are using, Meyer sound

Who gets to go to Portland for the Hands On Training on 8700?

I dont know that i hope that they do use it.

UPDATE

Well the bad/worries

Good things
we are two weeks ahead of schedul, knock on wood.

Also this is a question for any one, how much power (amp wise) should be available at the company switch, this is what we have Company switches from Stagecraft Industries, Inc., but the 100 amp version?

Um, about the sound system being meyer....if its the same system as the Blue Man Group LA (at the venetian), it's a D&B Audiotechnic sound system. I know because I prepped the B2 subs that went out on that install, and put together the amp racks. I worked for specialized audio visual inc. at the time the system was being installed (summer of 2007).

Well, hmm i am going to have to check on that, i have not see any of the paper work for the audio system. So i will have to check.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Also, i got the name of the rigging company, "ProTech".

Um, about the sound system being meyer....if its the same system as the Blue Man Group LA (at the venetian), it's a D&B Audiotechnic sound system. I know because I prepped the B2 subs that went out on that install, and put together the amp racks. I worked for specialized audio visual inc. at the time the system was being installed (summer of 2007).

Ok i got it checked out, we are going with D&B, but they did say that meyer is doing something for us, i dint know what yet. The array speaker are going in on Monday, i will post some pick, of them and the theatre.

Update on the company switches, we have three, a 100amp 3phase, a 200amp 3phase, 400amp 3 phase.

Looking forward to the pics, enjoy your new sound system. Possibly some of the best gear I have ever heard. Wish it was mine:lol:

So they finaly installed the speakers, they are TAN in color, umm ok, and they are mount to a maroon catwalk, and they wanted it to blined in.

Our first problem was found with the lighting system, the electrics on the catswalk are installed on the pipe closes to the floor. That was fix it was spec right just installed wrong.

Also, they do not have any data ports on the electrics, is that some thing that need to be fix, or can i live with out it.

I am liking the system we are getting a little more. But i am still alittle worried, even those i have been told dont worry about it at all, by the admins, "it is a top of the line system".

The fly system is the last thing to go in. ?? is what i am being told, Protech, is the one rigging out theatre, that is all i am going to say, if i say more it will have to be put in the "The punching Bag" fourm

...Also, they do not have any data ports on the electrics. Is that something that needs to be fixed, or can I live with out it?
If it wasn't specified on the drawings, it's not a fix--it's a change order and out of the question, budget-wise. Yes, it would have been nice, but would have led to more DMX distribution which was probably "value-engineered" out of your system, if ever it was included. Do you have 208V, L6-20 outlets on the electrics for Moving Light power? Any 120V constant power or non-dim circuits?

Plan on purchasing at least one DMX iso-splitter and some 100' 5pin DMX cables, to run scrollers, gobo rotators, I-Cues, and other DMX "toys". Once the building is signed off and turned over, you can run the DMX along side the multi-cables feeding the electrics for a semi-permanent solution, or just drop the cable off the end of the pipe for more temporary uses.

When are you gonna PM me so I can come take a look?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back