Control/Dimming Transitioning from Strand to Ion

yes, its in the post :p

I think he's compalining a lot about the syntax. The videos are made so anyone with a good general knowldge can set it up. That guy is just grumpy, as he stated.

Rant rant rant rant rant rant rant. At least there are training videos for the Ion, last time I checked Strand hopes you can figure everything out based on an outdated on-board manual, a broken online one, cryptic change logs, and asking people who've already figured it out.

And, of course the syntax will be different, If he hates it so much I'm not sure why he's changing at all...

Last edited:
I find myself going back to the ETC you-tube videos frequently, and they are free. So i'm having a bit of trouble understanding what he's complaining about. I recall transitioning from Colortran/Palette speak to Express and hating ETC, so what it comes down to is learning new tricks and American tricks as well. The post read like a disguntled Brit lamenting that Strand - as in the UK Strand of days gone past, is dead and buried along with a method of operating a console, or so he assumes. Which begs the question why he did'nt go buy a new Strand ? . Too bad, now get over it.

Last edited:
For most of us, running a desk is an emotional issue. We get attached to one way of working. One way that is comfortable and safe. There are growing pains moving to every desk and we move along and get over them until the next generation of consoles comes along and then we go thru it all over again.

I'll just point out that there are over three dozen Palette training videos on youtube and have helped out countless users. The software has a nice little Quick Start Guide that will help initiate the new user and should account for most basic programming needs.

Strand support is here. Has been and will be. We still get lots of support calls for 300/500 series and we help and support the user base every day.

Everyone has a preference...and that's fine. We offer you a choice and we are happy to work with users on their choices.

... And, of course the syntax will be different, If he hates it so much I'm not sure why he's changing at all...
Hypothesizing here: Because he realizes the Strand 500 is obsolete and new features are only available with newer consoles?
... Which begs the question: Why he didn't go buy a new Strand?.
More hypothesizing: Because he realizes that moving to a Palette/LightPalette would likely cause even more confusion/disruption than he's currently experiencing?

Found a new issue with Tapatalk, (will post in bugs section).

Otherwise from reading the "article", He seems too intent on saying how much he doesn't like ETC rather than taking time to pay attention to the videos. The only time you need to use the extra PSU for the fader wing is if its not attached to the console, otherwise it can be powered directly through the Main ION PSU.

Its also really funny to note he goes through each video saying how useless parts are. He is looking at it from a 14 year old kid who thinks he knows everything there is to know about how to setup a light console. The videos that ETC has made are there to give a range of users not just "experts" how to operate the console. His understanding of tracking vs (can't think of the word right now) seems really skewed on the fact that he knows what they are but not quite what they are.

To me he sounds like a "theater Technician" and i use the term loosely who would rather stay stuck with just dimming and nothing else. It becomes apparent that he is too busy with regular conventionals when he mockingly says ETC calls Intensities, Parameters.

Unfortunately for him more and more companies are going away from the old everything is an intensity variables. So while it was fairly entertaining to read his "issues" with the ETC Ion it also showed me that people are still being taught generally the wrong thing about consoles.

With this post I am not saying ETC is better than Strand. They both have their niches I've used both boards they work for what they do. Its all about what is your favorite flavor.

:boohoo:Whine, Whine, Whine, Whine, Whine, Whine, Whine, Whine, Whine, Whine, Whine, Whine, Whine, Whine, Whine, Whine, Whine, Whine,:boohoo:

And, after reading further, He's complaining that an hour into the videos and he hasn't played back a cue? Well than START THERE if that is what you can't do! IT'S YOUTUBE!!!

Last edited:
To be fair, training videos in general are far from helpful. I've learned every console I've ever used at least a great deal from user manuals and will continue to do so.

But the whole anti-ETC thing is a tad silly.

For most of us, running a desk is an emotional issue. We get attached to one way of working. One way that is comfortable and safe. There are growing pains moving to every desk and we move along and get over them until the next generation of consoles comes along and then we go thru it all over again.

I'll just point out that there are over three dozen Palette training videos on youtube and have helped out countless users. The software has a nice little Quick Start Guide that will help initiate the new user and should account for most basic programming needs.

Strand support is here. Has been and will be. We still get lots of support calls for 300/500 series and we help and support the user base every day.

Everyone has a preference...and that's fine. We offer you a choice and we are happy to work with users on their choices.

Thanks Bobby! I personally have never had an issue with support with Strand... but I also have your card in my wallet so that helps. On that same note, I have never had any manual or video teach a console better then your guides for the 300/500 series desks. Are we going to see something similar for the new line of consoles?

Which begs the question why he did'nt go buy a new Strand ? . Too bad, now get over it.

Because he realizes that moving to a Palette/LightPalette would likely cause even more confusion/disruption than he's currently experiencing?

I think the lesson to learn from all this is that changing technology, regardless of the brand, requires new learning and a willingness to be flexible in how you work. Changing from a 500 to a Palette would have been just as painful for him as changing to an Ion. There is no such thing as the perfect console. On some level you have to adjust yourself and how you work to the console. I have a friend who about pulled all his hair out a few years ago transitioning from an Express to an Express with Emphasis. This was a relatively minor change as things go in console world, but there were a few key differences that required him to change the way he works. The new console was fine, but HE made lots of mistakes based on the way the old console used to work.

As was discussed in another recent thread, I find the Palette software to be easier and more intuitive for someone used to working in a Windows PC environment than the Element/Ion software. The Element on the other hand has much more of a serious (turn on big deep voice with reverb) "Theater Desk" feel to it, like an old Expression/Obsession. Some will look at the Element/Ion and say it's unnecessarily complicated, and say that the Palette makes sense. Others will look at the Palette and say it's too much like a silly computer, Element/Ion acts like a lighting desk should act. These are personal preference issues and not issues of functionality.

Both manufacturers make excellent consoles. Both manufacturers have representation here (thanks to Bobby joining us). Both manufacturers have 24 hr phone numbers to call. Both manufacturers have their own forums where you can get answers quickly. ETC's customer service is consistent and legendary in the industry. Their ability to find you and address your needs immediately is almost a little spooky. Strand doesn't have a great customer service record over the long term, but I have been treated very well over the last 4 years by Strand. I believe things have changed significantly under the new ownership. They have worked very quickly to take care of my needs.

Get a demo and see how you like the feel of the console in your space.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back