Troubleshooting EDI MX system dimmer Bank w/ connected "Twilite" system

I wonder if someone might give me some advice:

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]When we arrived in our booth today, the lighting console would not control the dimmer packs. We have a dimmer rack and modules that are MX system dimmer banks made by EDI, a company that seems to be out of business.The lighting in the auditorium is primarily controlled by an ETC Smartfade lighting console, but also is controlled by a "Twilite" system that is comprised of wall panels installed in various locations both in the house, on stage, and in the control booth. After the brief performance, I tried recycling the power both with the small switch on the top dimmer module as well as with the main circuit breaker. The lighting console has been tried through the DMX 1 input which is from the both as well as with the DMX 2 input which is a cable we have available on the floor. Neither work.[/FONT]

What I notice that seems wrong on the dimmer packs is that there are indicator lights labeled DMX1, and DMX 2. DMX 2 lights up when the board is connected to it and goes out when the board is not connected. The DMX 1 light is always illuminated whether or not there is a cable and or board connected to the port.

We have a dance performance tomorrow.

Any advice?

Good Morning

It sounds like the transceiver chip went south. The chip that lets the outside world in on port 1
Does the rack work with the console plugged into port 2?
If you can live without the wall station for a few days I’d just use port 2 until you can Get the chip replaced.
It should be an 8 pin chip (typically a 57176) in a socket.
its just a band aid but this should get you through your show.

Problem resolved! The led indicator on the blackout switch on the console was dead. The console was on blackout. Easy fix to what seemed like a big problem. Whew!

Good Morning

It sounds like the transceiver chip went south. The chip that lets the outside world in on port 1
Does the rack work with the console plugged into port 2?
If you can live without the wall station for a few days I’d just use port 2 until you can Get the chip replaced.
It should be an 8 pin chip (typically a 57176) in a socket.
its just a band aid but this should get you through your show.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back