Trying to find wireless microphone package

To tell you the truth, for many of our traveling shows, we've purchased a pack of cheaper lavalier, or lapel mics, and used ACE bandage wrap (I think that's what it is. It's the sticky stuff the you put on a sprained ankle and holds its shape).

We just wrap enough of it that the actor can bend it around his ear, and tape it in place with a band-aid.

We've been know to use liquid latex to put them in place too, and if you do it right, people never notice the mic.

Off Topic:
In fact, once we did Singing in the Rain, and we used the lapel and ACE wrap technique, then used liquid latex to cover the mic part all the way back to his sideburns, and it totally waterproofed the mic, and, because it was so tight, it still picked up sound like normal.

***Of course, use a small wind guard on the mic, otherwise the latex gets into the actual mic, and ruins it after a few uses. Just change the wind guard after each show.

Thanks CrisCole. We actually already do that with our mics right now, but we're looking to upgrade and buy a new rack of wireless earset mics because of the 700 band interference.

Try e-bay lots of stores sell wireless packages there and substitute their own earset mics which brings down the cost. I bought a package of 12 Shure SLX included a rolling case, 2 power conditioners, of course the wireless system, all with OSP HS-09 earset mics a few years ago for a really great price. Here is a link to where mine came from Sigler Music Online - Bringing You the Music Since 1960 Somethin' - Sigler Music Center. Of course other options are available. But all the frequency setups were sent to me from Shure and the people at the store were really easy to deal with.

I just stumbled across this site and thought I'd chime in. I've been having great luck with the Lectrosonics equipment lately for multi-channel wireless setups like what you are looking for. Sennheiser is also good - I've put in a fair number of their 3000 Series stuff, but it's very expensive and IMO the Lectrosonics stuff sounds even better and is half the cost. Where are you located? I might be able to suggest some re-sellers and installers I've worked with.

I just stumbled across this site and thought I'd chime in. I've been having great luck with the Lectrosonics equipment lately for multi-channel wireless setups like what you are looking for. Sennheiser is also good - I've put in a fair number of their 3000 Series stuff, but it's very expensive and IMO the Lectrosonics stuff sounds even better and is half the cost. Where are you located? I might be able to suggest some re-sellers and installers I've worked with.

Thanks Steelshim. Actually I'm the sound tech at my high school and I'm gathering the quotes. We are located in Richmond Virginia. Zip: 23233 Also we can do the installation ourselves we just would like to see if we could get a package deal together.

On second thought I think we're going to do without Sennheiser or Shure. We're probably going to go for lower end stuff since we're dealing with high schoolers. Also the more mics the better! Budget is $6,500. Thanks

On second thought I think we're going to do without Sennheiser or Shure. We're probably going to go for lower end stuff since we're dealing with high schoolers. Also the more mics the better! Budget is $6,500. Thanks
$6,500 for 16 rack mounted mics? By the time you account for the rack and antenna and power distribution, that's maybe $350 per mic.

You mentioned that you were replacing the mics because of the 700MHz issues, it might help to let us know specifically what models you are replacing as that might give some reference for what would be a good replacement. Otherwise, look at some of the other recent threads regarding wireless systems and you'll find that you're probably realistically looking at at least something like the Audio-Technica 3000 series or Sennheiser G3 EW100 series or Shure ULX series for a multiple channel, theatre application. Then you have to add the related antenna distribution, rack, cabling, etc. And you may want something better and more durable than the headset mics that come packaged as part of the wireless headset systems or if not, maybe some replacement headsets to have on hand. That's going to be way over your budget.

Based on that it sounds like you may want to consider either finding more money or reducing your expectations on the number of wireless system you'll be able to get.

I spoke with the wireless guru at Audio Technica and the least expensive way to go would be using ten of their ATW 3110's and six of their ATW 2110's. By the time you add for antenna distribution units, a case and wiring, you're over your budget.

I'll also chime in for Lectrosonics. I bought a 16 channel system a few years back and it has been solid as a rock. That said--you can't get 16 channels for $6500.

I would look at Sennheiser EW-100 series if I were you. For the price, you can't beat the RF performance. Stay away from the Microphone Madness mics...get Countryman B3's. At $150/ea they're really not all that expensive.

$6,500 for 16 rack mounted mics? By the time you account for the rack and antenna and power distribution, that's maybe $350 per mic.

You mentioned that you were replacing the mics because of the 700MHz issues, it might help to let us know specifically what models you are replacing as that might give some reference for what would be a good replacement. Otherwise, look at some of the other recent threads regarding wireless systems and you'll find that you're probably realistically looking at at least something like the Audio-Technica 3000 series or Sennheiser G3 EW100 series or Shure ULX series for a multiple channel, theatre application. Then you have to add the related antenna distribution, rack, cabling, etc. And you may want something better and more durable than the headset mics that come packaged as part of the wireless headset systems or if not, maybe some replacement headsets to have on hand. That's going to be way over your budget.

Based on that it sounds like you may want to consider either finding more money or reducing your expectations on the number of wireless system you'll be able to get.

You took the words right out of my mouth (er... keyboard).

That said, the suggestions for Sennheiser EWG3 100 Series are probably your best bet. Even then, you'll likely have to reduce the number of channels. Is it possible to purchase part (most) of the system now, then add more channels as the budget allows?

BTW that Vega system you are replacing was probably well over $1000/channel when it was new.

Stay away from the Microphone Madness mics...get Countryman B3's. At $150/ea they're really not all that expensive.
Except that the B3 is a lav and they apparently want earset mics.

Looking at some online pricing you can find wireless systems that would allow you to purchase sixteen systems within your $6,500 budget. However, you are probably not going to get sixteen systems that can all reliably operate simultaneously in the same venue within that budget.

You apparently could get sixteen systems that could work together mounted in a venue and that are mounted in a rack along with with sixteen earset mics for somewhere around $7,000 to $10,000. However, these do not include some of what people would normally recommend for a theatre application including items such as earsets with removable cables and proper antenna distribution.

Taking a quick look at some online pricing for that type of system, a sixteen mic system with A-T 3000, Sennheiser EW100 or Shure ULX bodypacks and receivers, Microphone Madness or OSP mics, antennas, antenna distribution, 10-12RU rack, cabling, etc. seems to be somewhere around $13,000 or twice your budget. Make those Countryman E6i mics and the cost probably rises closer to $16,000.

These are just some very rough numbers and solution, however ity does seem to come down to what the budget is expected to purchase. Is the goal is to get sixteen wireless mics within the budget or is the goal instead to get as many mics as you can that you feel comfortable will be reliable, durable and functional? When defining the $6,500 budget, did somebody actually have a specific solution in mind or is that a number someone just came up with as a guess or is it simply the currently available funds? If the budget was not predicated on any specific solution then I recommend getting a smaller quantity of more appropriate devices, but since you are replacing existing systems then reducing the quantity significantly may not be an acceptable option.

For an install, the EW100G3 work great. We (theater) are adding seven (for a total of 16) within the next couple of weeks. So far we've had no need for paddle antennas - we're using a pair of the included whips mounted atop the (steel) rack.

We have nine E6, but are going to try the MM for the other seven, as the positive reviews greatly outweigh the negative (including one venue that is replacing E6 with MM owing to much better reliability).

Don't forget that for every four receivers you need an antenna splitter (and power supply). For sixteen, you'll want two of these: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/profes...ne-systems_antenna-kits_G3-kits_USG3FRONTKIT8 (there's an extra rack mount for some reason, which you can use for a pair of receivers).

Get a quote from Northernsound.net.

For a traveling rig I'd want a networked system for ease of RF coordination, as your interference frequencies will change daily. I'm not sure if the EW300 qualifies, or if one has to jump to the EW500.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back