two movers for spotting

Thanks guys for confirming!

I personally am going to go on a rabbit trail here: it's a little frustrating to me when the big names (especially High End) make HUGE/HEAVY fixtures. One Cyberlight is over 100lbs. The Technospot is 90lbs and is quite large. I for one would like to see a little bit of work towards "all-around-efficiency" by some of these companies. Ok, now I'm off the personal rabbit trail... :D

There are some small bright fixtures, but unfortunately you pay for it.
The most cost effective option I could suggest would be a VL2500 spot. Very small Very fast, and quite bright. (Around 3-4k Each used)
The other option, but far less cost effective would be a Martin Viper, Not quite as small as the VL2500, but brighter. (Probably too new to find used, close to 8-10k each new)
The Mac 700 could be a good choice, although I haven't used it personally, and it is a discontinued fixture. (Around 3-4k Each used)

My last suggestion could would be a High End Studio Spot 575. BUT, I have several caveats on this one. Make sure the 19 degree stock lens will work for you, or look for fixtures with the zoom option. If you select the zoom option, make sure you can live without the frost. Make sure you don't need color mixing, or look for fixtures with the CMY option. If you select the CMY option, make sure you can deal with the oddness of that color mixing system. The dual yellow wheels make for some odd color changes occasionally. Also, the CMY system can be difficult to repair well, and the color wheels are extremely fragile and expensive.
A Used Studio Spot 575 should sell for between $750-1500
A Used Studio Spot CMY should sell for between $1000-2000
Zooms are hard to tell, because not many of them were sold. I don't see any on solaris network right now either, perhaps another $500-1000 over the cost of a Standard fixture?

In my honest opinion, for a 30' throw, you need at least a 575 arc lamp, and a narrow lens. Technobeams work great in a dark club environment, beyond that they are probably working outside their best use.

I've decided on the I-CUEs. I checked the ellipscans and the review weren't good. The I-CUEs definitely fit our budget and unique situation. Thank you all because I wouldn't have thought of this until hearing your thoughts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back